It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 am 

I purchased a Dell Inspiron Tablet-Hybrid recently which has a 360-deg rotation screen and a Win button on the screen. However, both the keyboard Win button and the tablet Win button open the same menu that is configured (classic start). I want to configure the tablet Win key to always open the Metro menu (which is convenient in tablet mode) but I did not find an option to configure these keys separately. I see Classic shell is still geared towards desktop. I tried the key codes software and found that the tablet key is sending Right-Win key (key code 92) while the keyboard Win key is sending Left-Win key (key code 91). Is there anyway I can customize this? If not, a new feature would be great given that we are seeing a lot of hybrids nowadays.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:27 pm 

This has been discussed, and Ivo has been unable to find a way to differentiate between a Windows hardware touch button, and the Windows key on a keyboard. I'm guessing there is at-least a way to differentiate between the left and right windows keys, but the button is likely coded to the right.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:55 am 

Yes. I read through those posts. But I don't see why it should be difficult when they send different key codes.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:30 pm 

I don't think they do though? (can you show me another program, (possibly a key-binding); that can successfully differentiate between an onscreen and either windows key)

To me it really feels like something Ivo would do if he could, without compromising integrity

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 4:50 pm 

You could definitely do if they both send different key codes (91 & 92 in my case). I had done this using WinHotKey in my old laptop which had Left & Right Win keys that sent different key codes. You cannot do with on-screen soft key but if you had a hardware key (a button) then they definitely send a different key code as opposed to the one on the keyboard.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

The start menu doesn't hook the Win key. Instead it hooks to the event that opens the start screen. This way it works identically for the Win key and Ctrl+Esc, and also works even when an elevated program is running.
Since the event is generated after you release the key, it is too late to detect which key combination triggered it. I will add it to my list to look into this, but at the moment I don't have a solution in mind.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm 

you could always run both methods? and have the first one 'disable' the second (for 1 second) if it runs sucessfully