It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:24 pm 

Something useful that the Windows 8.1 search pane added was the option to run the Windows Command Prompt (cmd.exe) as an administrator by right-clicking on it on the search results. Can you add it to Classic Shell too?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

It works for me. Do you not see "Run as administrator" when you right click on the Command Prompt shortcut?
Also you can press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the selected item as admin. Works for documents too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm 

I just typed "Command Prompt", and this option indeed appears. But I was trying it only with the "cmd" keyword, and nothing happens when I right-click on it (likely because it's the result for the program itself, not a shortcut). I can try to get used to typing "prompt" instead of the "cmd", but it'll take a while since I'm so used to it and do it automatically.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 am 
Site Admin

"cmd" works for me as well. The top result is cmd.exe and I do get "Run as administrator" for it. Even if it is the program itself it should have a right-click menu. The right-click menu for files in fact comes from Explorer, and not the start menu.

You need to figure out what is it that gets found in your case. Locate that same file (be it a shortcut, exe, bat file, whatever), open it in Explorer and right-click on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:58 pm 

I'm sorry for not being specific enough. I've even failed to mention that I'm running Windows 10. Thank you for being friendly and providing direct support.

I opened the ClassicShell settings, and re-enabled the "Search the system path" option (which I had disabled manually before). After that, the context menu worked for cmd / cmd.exe . Maybe that's the difference between our setups.

I couldn't identify where my problematic result was from, but I've found a solution. I looked up the clickabled result for the search term "prompt" and opened the properties for it. It's a simple shortcut located at
Code:
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools

I was able to rename it to cmd, and now this is the only thing that shows up when I look up "cmd" with the "Search the system path" option disabled (screenshot), exactly like I wanted.

Thank you for your software and time again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

I see. This looks like a bug. I will look into it.