It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:14 am 

Hi, Classic Shell's improvements on Win7 are so great that I already miss them in other contexts...

For example, I would really enjoy to have a custom button bar in the file dialogs ("Open file", "Select folder", "Save As", etc.)

Is it possible for Classic Shell to offer customization of these dialogs?

My idea is mostly to add buttons to quickly get to specific folders that I often use and to be able to use the "invert selection" button.

I searched the FAQ and the feature request forum on "file dialog" but didn't find any previous suggestion about this.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:26 am 

Doing so is dangerous and can crash applications. Common file dialogs (SaveAs and Open) are controlled by the application - Notepad, Word, Photoshop, etc. It is theoretically possible to do something about it, but there are many problems to do it correctly:

- Every application is unique. There is no way to ensure stable work for arbitrary applications. Often applications take steps to customize their dialogs and there is a great potential for conflict.
- Doing anything like this is a guaranteed way to get an endless list of compatibility bugs.
- The first step in any such feature will be to inject code in every running application. This act will most likely be flagged as malware by anti-virus software. It will also negatively affect system performance.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:24 am 

OK, I see. I realize now that these dialogs are mostly used and managed by other applications and understand the danger of trying to tweak them. Well... too bad... I'll have to find some other workarounds or good practices to save time each time I open one of these dialogs (mostly the "save as"). I need to get quickly to some favorite folders (for now I use F4 to unroll the list of recent folders, but the folders I want to access quickly are not always in the list and I can't "pin" them in this list).

Thanks for your quick reply anyway, and thanks for the great job in Classic Shell (I don't donate every year, but nearly every two years...)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:48 am 

The Favorites section in the navigation pane is for pinning locations but unfortunately, the view scrolls down every time the dialog is opened, which annoys me a lot.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.