It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm 

Is there a way to have both the windows 8.1 start button (which takes me to metro screen) AND the classic shell windows 7 start button at the same time on the task bar? Preferably i would have the windows 8.1 start button on the left and the windows 7 start button directly next to it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:45 pm 

Yes. Right click the Start button -> Settings. On the Controls tab, set Left Click opens to Windows Start Screen.
Then in Explorer, create a shortcut with the following command line:
"C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenu.exe" -open
Pin this shortcut to the Taskbar and position it next to the Start button.

You can also access both the Start Menu and the Start screen using a single button. The Controls tab will let you configure what Win key, Shift+Win key, Shift+Left click open. There is a also a link to the Start screen inside the Start menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:55 pm 

Firstly thanks for the quick reply it did help me out a bit in changing what I wanted to change! :D I did what you told me to do and its not quite what I wanted, so this time perhaps a picture would help out.

I kind of wanted a task-bar that looked kinda like this:

http://imgur.com/XGZaBS5

^ that is kinda what I meant when I said I wanted to move the Classic Shell button next to the original windows 8.1 start button,

I also wanted to see if there was a feature like the following:
where if i press the windows button once it would take me to the metro screen
and if i pressed the windows button twice (kinda like a double click but instead a double press) it would take me to the start menu

(I do know there is an option to change how to access the start menu via shift+windows and etc...Just wanted to know if there is an option to "double press" the windows button to open the start menu)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:30 pm 

Double click is not possible (not going to be added) because to recognize a double click, it will have to slow down single click.

The instructions I gave above should give you what your screenshot shows except that the menu will open from the left edge, it won't leave a gap on the left.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 pm 

Thanks! I got it now~ seems I did not create the shortcut properly before.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:26 pm 

1)When i click on the shortcut that i pinned on to the task bar the classic windows start menu opens up perfectly fine. However it does not close the menu if i click the pinned classic shell shortcut again. Is there a way to fix that?

2)Is there a way to enable the "hover over button to open classic start menu" for the start button I pinned to the task bar not for the windows button?

3)Also I do not know if this is related to Classic Shell or not but I usually have my task bar at the top of my screen. But when something like BlueStacks(an android emulator),Desmume(the ds emulator), and various other program. The program will open behind the task bar making it really hard to move the "Bluestacks or desmume window" around because I cant click on the ribbon up top that's behind the task bar. I have noticed that it only happens when i have my task bar on the top of the screen though. Btw, I am running windows 8.1 with all the latest updates if that helps too.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

#1 - use the command "-toggle" instead of "-open" and then the button will toggle the menu instead of simply opening it.

#2 - not possible. Icons on the taskbar are simply shortcuts, and don't support hovering.

#3 - doesn't seem related to Classic Shell. If you are not convinced, uninstall Classic Shell and see if that fixes the problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:38 am 

#1, yeah -toggle will work.
#2, not possible.
#3, try Taskbar Masher: https://www.csparks.com/Win7TaskbarMasher/

Compare Start Menus