It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic.

Post subject: Aero blur on windows 8
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:46 am 

Hi!

Now there is an app which enables aero, but somehow classic startmenu doesn't use aero on win8. My request is to make it compatible:) or re-enable.

Here is the app: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/161788- ... -win8-v03/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:28 am 

i think atleast a few of us have been keeping an eye on that thread :P, it looks like a new version has come out since i last checked so ill look again, but Ivo is possibly waiting for them to release an official/stable/silent/automatically started version, before proceeding..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 am 

it starts automtically with AGTweaker.exe and also minimizes itself. I'm searching for a nice small program that can autohide the app from the taskbar. I found one that hides it but doesnt remains on startup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 am 

hmm the newer version does seem more stable, with 6-7 windows open its only taking 5% cpu on my i5, however thats still a little much..., i noticed that you can play videos behind the transparency, and it works fine.. which is probably the majority of the problem (the fact that its refreshing every window every few miliseconds), whereas it only needs to refresh newly created, and moving windows. (even windows 7 version couldnt play animations through the blur, and i suspect cpu usage is the reason, rather than it being a 'bug'
so yea its getting there, and it looks like all the code is open, so it shouldnt be to hard to implement, so i hope it gets added to :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:02 am 

minimizing itself is still not silent, it should at the very least minimize to the system tray.. if not completely invisible (without the program being clicked, to change settings)

but its rather close :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:12 am 

It's not about implementing something. For example Start8, Startisback has aero and also trillian for me :)
I think it's just a small setting. I tried Win7 compatibibility mode but it's the same

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:59 am 

it is about implementing something, or at the very least, changing a few things around to use the new dll
classic shell detects windows 8 (and has some windows 8 only settings, which means it could be as simple as it skipping the .dll (since its not supposed to be there in windows 8)

and if done it would be likely be implemented directly into classic shell, that way people wouldnt have to install a standalone (i actually think classic shell would be a decent candidate to bundle the aero blur software with (and auto-install everything)

@ trying in windows 7 compatibility; windows 8 is lacking the required files to blur, even in compatibility mode; so any program that has blur, either does the blur themselves , or happen to be compatible with the program you linked (which is likely, because from what i read good bits of the code was pulled from w7, so any program that used w7's blur could potentially use it... (unless someone had an IF statement in there code, telling the program that its windows 8, so dont bother looking for said file)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 pm 

but some apps that work with the blur are older than the blur app :o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:21 pm 

Is it hard to enable it again on windows 8? :/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:35 pm 

im not a developer, but i am a coder, and it could be as simple as 5-10 lines of code(or it could be considerably more, depending, on how its implemented);
a likely route (if any route is taken) will be full support (classic shell would automatically install aero blur/transparency, so that everyone (not just a select few that happen to download that program, from that website) would have it.. which would take a lot more coding

again; at least waiting on an official build of Aero blur is likely..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 pm 

:DDD I had a dream that the next version enabled aero :DD