It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:17 am 

Hello.
I'm using Classic Shell since the first day I installed Windows 8. But I had always this strange little bug: the CS-Start-button stays visible when I put a program to full screen. This problem is also described here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=522&hilit=beneath.
In my case, that's happening in almost any programs, Firefox, PowerDVD, name it. But it's not reproducable: five out of ten times the start button stays on top. I hoped to get rid of it in 3.6.8. but nothing changed. I installed the newest nvidia-driver, changed resolution, changed position of taskbar, deinstalled another tasbar-tweaker - no change.

A new strange bug I found in the 3.6.8. version: When I try to move a folder or a program icon within the Classic Shell menu and Windows wants me to do this "as administrator" it works but right after that it's not possible anymore to open the start menu via start button. I have to exit Classic Shell completely and restart, then it works again.

Is there any solution with these two things?
Thanks for reading
Stefan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Where exactly are you moving the icon from and to?
What version of Windows do you use?
Is it possible there is a popup asking you for permissions that's hiding behind? Try Alt+Tab.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:30 am 

Thank you Ivo for replying

I've got Windows 8 Pro, 32bit, updated to 8.1 Preview. AMD Athlon X4 640 on a Gigabyte board, 3GB Ram and Nvidia GTX 650.
I made a little screen video and uploaded it to youtube:

http://youtu.be/D9XVn0Wz7Oo

First you see, that have installed ClassicShell 3.6.8 and Windows Classics Style. Then I open Firefox and the start button stays right in front.
Next I move a program-icon within the start menu (ACDSee) and Windows tells me that its not possible to use the target folder, I must have administrator rights to do this (sorry, I'm only translating this, maybe the warning is a bit different). When I click on "continue" it moves the program but ClassicShell is not working anymore. I have to close and restart.

Hope I can make my problems clear?

Greeting
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:34 am 

Just have one of the problems:

- Updated the other day from Windows 8 to 8.1 Preview
- Updated today from Classic Shell 3.6.7 to 3.6.8

When I drag&drop Menu items in Classic Shell, the Start Button stops responding to left-click (it changes color briefly when I click it, but that's all) after finishing the task, and only when the Start Menu collapses. When I right-click it, it does respond, I can exit and via i.e. Task Manager restart the application. Then it works again and has performed the requested drop.

Machine has been restarted after update to 3.6.8

I have no request for Administrative Permissions though...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 am 

Maybe this is interesting for you developers:

Because I'm using backup-images I went back from Win8.1 to Win8. There I had CS 3.6.6. installed.
Moving items within the start menu is NOT freezing ClassicShell. Then I updated to 3.6.8. - just the same, no freezing.
So: With my PC Win8.1 and CS 3.6.8. is causing crashes.
As for the start button staying in front: With Win8.1 and CS 3.6.8 it's a 100 percent bug, which means I started Firefox 30 times and 30 times the button stays on top.
With Win8 and 3.6.8. it's just the same. BUT: Changing the new button to any custom button reduces the bug to 5 times out of 30.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:57 am 
Site Admin

@gehrkes: Why is Firefox on top of the taskbar even when it is not fullscreen? That's not normal. Are you running some tool that makes the taskbar not always on top?

I was able to reproduce the locking issue. It looks like a bug in 8.1. Basically the function RevokeDragDrop doesn't release the drop target if it is currently in use. I may be able to find a workaround in the future if there is no fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:24 am 

Ivo, you are a detective.
Yes, you're right. I'm using a very exotic tool called "Titlebar Guard". Since Win7 I wanted the taskbar to be always on but behind every window. Till today I couldn't find any other tweak program which does this. I know this is old school, but I'm an old guy.
So I guess there is a conflict between my tweaker and ClassicShell though I don't get it when the taskbar should be always on but behind a window that the ClassicShell start button - which is a part of the taskbar (?!) - will NOT do this.
Great to hear that there may be a fix for the other bug.

Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:40 am 
Site Admin

The start button is not part of the taskbar. It is a separate window, otherwise it will not be able to extend beyond the taskbar. Start8 and some other programs draw the button inside the taskbar and won't have this issue. However their buttons can't be larger than the taskbar.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am 

@gehrkes, try this tool to see if it works for your needs: http://www.csparks.com/Win7TaskbarMasher/ (and it's author also uses Classic Shell so there are less likely to be conflicts) ;)

Disclaimer: Third party links/tools are only for your convenience. We bear no responsibility for their use whatsoever.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:23 pm 

Ivo!
Thank you so much for additional help! Yes, this other taskbar tweaker works. And no conflicts with Classic Shell so far.
Consider this "mystery" as solved.
Stefan