It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

Okay, this might be covered elsewhere and I missed it. If so, I apologize. I contacted windows with my issue and the tech support were pretty useless; friendly, but useless. (The guy couldn't figure out how to exit the fullscreen jpeg I had opened via IrfanView so he could see the startup error message that occurs regarding the temp profiles).

I pre-ordered windows 8 via Newegg. I installed Classic Shell promptly due to hating the App design of win8.
I installed a variety of programs. Shortly after an odd thing began occurring.

The computer downloads updates, reboots, loses the admin profile, creates a new admin profile (often with the user created previous admin' name and a new number), it forgets some of the desktop program icons or reverts them to needing to be re-installed, such as aim. It then resets Norton antivirus to acting as though it has a conflict but has none.
Now the oddest part of all. The profiles are still on the hard drive. I can still access each of my now 12 profiles, each with admin' access, but when logging onto the computer, no such profiles exist. Many of my documents get deleted but the profiles remain.
On the desktop, Steam, WoW, OpenOffice, all remain just fine, and up to date.

Added to this, I also can't get the system to accept special drivers. Such as, I have a madcatz keyboard, it refuses to allow me to download and update the correct drivers to use my keyboard.

Were it not for Classic Shell, I'd have already paid out the teeth for XP Professional to be rid of this terrible OS; and pray that the geniuses here can help me find a solution to my conundrum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

I think Windows will try to create a temp profile if the current profile is corrupted or inaccessible. Maybe your network connection is spotty and it fails to download your remote settings. Are you using a local or Microsoft account?

Doesn't seem related to Classic Shell though. To be sure, switch the ClassicShellService to manual and that will disable everything that runs on startup.