It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 pm 

Ever since the beginning of this week, I have been unable to right click anything in the start menu. If I uninstall classic shell, everything works fine, it only happens when classic shell is installed. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:48 am 

i have the same problem with classic shell, when my OS update to fall creators!

nothing is refreshing on desktop or explorer... and i cant click or access any of windows apps or settings.. taskbar is always on top (youtube...)
when shutdown or restart my pc. message appear (task host window closing background apps....)
VERY annoying!!! :x

when i logoff and again logon without restart, everything is back to normal (with classic shell installed)...

when i uninstall classic shell... everything work fine

any ideas?

tnx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:34 am 

Conspiracy theory.
MS wants to sabotage Classic Shell?

I'm having a number of little problems with each new Win 10 update.
They still don't work even with Classic Shell not running.
Wait, I got taskbar action center working again, but not calendar.

I don't have your issue though.

The way I see it, MS is doing a very crappy way of cutting out parts of operating system and not testing for every action that comes from that. We are the guinea pigs on an unstable system. I'm just going along for the ride. :)
If I had to use comupter for a business, I would definitely use Win 8.1 for safety.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:36 pm 

I may have to post this elsewhere, but as yet this is the only related post I have seen.

I have been using Classic Shell with great satisfaction since switching from 7 to Windows 8 some years back. I now run four systems with Windows 10 Pro and all use Classic Shell.

One system however has an issue that I seem unable to resolve, following updating it from Windows 7 Ultimate (without Classic Shell) to Windows 10 Pro. I am unable to determine if this issue is related to Classic Shell, but it does appear to be.

Right clicking any pinned item on the taskbar produces odd results. The items's jump list pops up but as soon as I move the mouse over it, it straight away disappears making it impossible use. It is possible get around this by holding the Alt key which right clicking the taskbar - the jump list stays in place so that any link within can be clicked. Sometimes right clicking does not function at all and the only way to resolve this is either by a system restore or restoring from a full image backup.

I have tried adjusting the settings available within Classic Shell but none resolve this.

Disabling Classic Shell produces stranger results - the Windows Start menu does not function at all and neither do the taskbar pinned items.

Uninstalling Classic Shell leaves only an unusable start menu. Reinstalling does not resolve the issue.

Re-registering C:\WINDOWS\system32\StartMenuHelper32.dll using an admin command prompt re-registers the dll but changes nothing.

Attempting to re-register ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll the same way produces the error:
"The module 'C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll' was loaded but the entry-point DllInstall was not found. Make sure that 'C:\Program Files\Classic Shell\ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll' is a valid DLL or OCX file and try again."

Can anyone possibly shed on helpful light on this?

Rgds

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Since uninstalling Classic Shell doesn't solve your problem, it is very likely something got messed up in Windows itself.
You need to register StartMenuHelper64.dll if you are using 64-bit Windows.
ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll is not a COM DLL, so it doesn't need registration.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 pm 

are yuo using usb mouse or PS/2 ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pm 

Blokk888 wrote:

Hi, USB wirelss mouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:22 am 

newsmedia wrote:
Blokk888 wrote:

Hi, USB wirelss mouse

if you have ps/2 port, i recommend to use PS/2 port because this can't have problems like wireless usb mouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:05 pm 

Blokk888 wrote:

Hi, USB wirelss mouse[/quote]

if you have ps/2 port, i recommend to use PS/2 port because this can't have problems like wireless usb mouse[/quote]

This is not relevant, I is not a mouse issue. But thanks for your reply

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:56 am 

newsmedia wrote:
Blokk888 wrote:

Hi, USB wirelss mouse

if you have ps/2 port, i recommend to use PS/2 port because this can't have problems like wireless usb mouse[/quote]

This is not relevant, I is not a mouse issue. But thanks for your reply[/quote]

okay...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm 

hey all... I know development has ceased, but has anyone figured this out??

I saw the dev said we need to register StartMenuHelper64.dll... But he didn't say exactly where.

I've now tried doing it in system32 as well as SysWOW64, rebooted, force-restarted Explorer, and still ~ no right click / context menu available :(

This has literally never happened to me. I've had it across something like 6 formats-worth of Win10 builds, INCLUDING THIS build (1709) and it's worked fine before. Now, all of a sudden, I can't get it for the life of me.

PLEASE ADVISE :pray:

Attached: Registering

Attachments:
3.PNG
3.PNG [ 17.25 KiB | Viewed 61539 times ]