It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm 

This video (A Problem I'm having with Classic Shell 4.3.1) shows the problem.

I.e., in trying to display the Apps choices by clicking on Start and moving the mouse down to Apps, as the mouse passes over Programs (even quickly), Classic Shell expands the Programs menu, and there appears to be no easy mouse action to escape the expansion.

Here's the full link text to the video: https://youtu.be/jrxgZGIQe3o

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Probably your menu delay is way too short. Increase it to larger value, like 1000. The setting is in the General Behavior tab.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 pm 

Ivo wrote:
Probably your menu delay is way too short. Increase it to larger value, like 1000. The setting is in the General Behavior tab.

Thanks for your suggestion. It helps, but doesn't really address the problem -- which is that Classic Shell, when displaying a submenu with many items, overlays the parent menu -- and provides no escape via the mouse.

The video link below shows two examples, one with a large Programs menu (in which the problem occurs) and another with a smaller Programs menu (which works fine):

https://youtu.be/hpDeLwFmwIo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:47 pm 

Go to General Behavior tab in Start menu Settings and uncheck the option "All columns are same size". See if that makes the 4 columns of the submenu fit besides the main menu.

Or you can hold down the Shift key before/while expanding the Programs item to expand it as a single column scrolling sub-menu.

Those are about the only optimizations you can make right now.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:57 pm 

@Ivo

Thanks for the pointer to Menu Delay.

I had a similar problem to clamhe, in that when moving (click-dragging) an item up or down the All Programs menu... as I moused the shortcut or folder up/down the menu... it would open every folder until I got where I wanted to drop the item.

Per your post, I went to settings and Menu Delay was somehow set to 0 ...your suggestion of 1000 works better ;)... is that the default value?

>> Since I use scrolling menus rather than unfolding columns menus, I don't have the associated problem that clamhe mentions... covering up the main menu. As for getting to the Apps menu, you don't have to mouse straight vertically down over Programs to get to Apps... one can make an end-run to the right, move your mouse cursor around Programs to the right, rather than over it, to get to Apps. I'm not sure, but I believe the multiple column foldout (when you have a -lot- of menu items) covering over the previous menu... is how Windows itself worked... so it wouldn't be a bug intrinsic to Classic Shell. It's possible that if you move the mouse cursor to the black bar sides of the column foldouts... that the columns may fold back in, to the original menu. Since they are 'pop-out' columns, moving the mouse cursor 'focus' outside the pop-out columns may cause them to pop-in again, revealing the original menu. Again, I think you should be able to easily remedy getting to the Apps menu by moving your cursor around, not over, Programs ... to get to Apps.

For me, I do notice something about Windows pop-up menus from toolbars, like the Quick Launch menu... only sometimes, the pop-up menu will display a white rectangle and take some significant time before it fills in the menu selections. It's probably a Windows bug, and I don't know if Classic Menu could fix that Windows problem, just thought I'd mention it to look at? ;)

-RD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 am 

I posted this, as a comment to your YouTube video: Just hit the "ESC" key on your keyboard and the menu that POP'ed UP should disappear and then mouse over to the "Apps" category. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 pm 

Ivo wrote:

Two things about this... first, I updated to 4.3.1 recently, and later I had a BSOD (usually when too many browser tabs open, lately) ...anyway, I just went to move something in my Start menu (something I do relatively frequently) and again got the rapid-fire folder openings when I attempted to move the folder up the menu list.
So... either the BSOD mucked up only the Classic shell setting for menu delay (to 0) or...
...you might want to check your updating file/procedure for a zero setting in the update/process.
(I really don't ever play with Classic Shell Settings, after installation.)

Thanks