It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:14 pm 

I am having a problem with my shortcut icon for the ClassicStartMenu.exe and the file itself. I create a shortcut for ClassicShellMenu.exe on the desktop. Works fine until I or another user logs back on. Then double-clicking (DC) the icon gets the mouse 'busy' icon for a second or two and then nothing happens. It does not take me to the Start Screen. I have found that if I go to the actual file, ClassicStartMenu.exe, and DC that, then to desktop shortcut starts working (DC'ing the file, ClassicStartMenu.exe in this step also gives a mouse 'busy' pointer and then, like the desktop shortcut, nothing happens until I DC a second time - sometimes that does not work no matter how many times I DC). I have tried to uninstall and reinstall but get the same results. Anybody else have this problem or am I the only unlucky person?
Windows 7 Pro on Dell OptiPlex 9030 with Windows 8.1 OS fully updated. See attached for other info.

Tim Quinn Sr.

Attachments:
Classic1_Pic.pdf [178.79 KiB]
Downloaded 845 times
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:09 am 

I don't understand. The icon on the desktop - what is it a shortcut to? The Start Menu automatically loads when you log in and does not need to be started manually. Once the Classic Start Menu has loaded, clicking the Start button opens the classic menu. The menu contains a link to go to the Start screen. If the Classic Start Menu is not running (not loaded), clicking the Start button takes you directly to the Start screen.

Is your desktop icon a shortcut to open the Classic Start Menu or to open the Start screen?

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm 

We have 4 touch screen PC's at our Library exclusively for 10 and under. The only thing allowed is MS and Google App Store games. These PC's have Deep Freeze installed to return the PC back to it's norm and PC Reservation. These PC's are running Windows 8.1 Pro. The first problem is that the PC Reservation sign-in screen does not show up if the computer is in Start (Apps) screen. Therefore kids can go to the PC and play games without going through the reservation process first. However, if I switch the start screen to the Desktop, the PC Reservation log-in is, and has always been there. Once on the log-in page, the PC is successfully locked and any user has to go through the reservation process as they cannot access the start screen and the desktop unless they do. This means that I have the PC's start in Desktop mode to get the PC Reservation log-in screen to come up. Once reserved and the kids are at the desktop, there is only one icon there that they can click on; and that is Start Screen icon. Once they double-click that icon, it takes them to where all of the game apps are. Setting these PC's up was, and is, a real pain in the tush. I put the "Start Screen" shortcut found in the 0 on the desktop and it work a couple of time, then stops as describe in my original post. The work-around is to go to the C:\Programs\Classic Shell folder and double-click on the ClassicStartMenu.exe as I described previously. I hope this added info will help.

Tim Quinn Sr.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:44 am 

The Start screen shortcut will only work as long as ClassicStartMenu.exe is running in the background. If the Start menu has exited, you will have to launch ClassicStartMenu.exe first and only then the shortcut to the Start screen will work.

If the ClassicStartMenu.exe is not running, then directly clicking the Start button should take them to the Start screen.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.