It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:36 am 

O/S: Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 15063.138

Classic Shell version 4.3.0 German

No antivirus (except Windows Defender), no adblocker or similar apps installed

Hardware: Intel NUC6i7kyk, 16 G Ram, 256 G m.2 ssd for O/S and software, 1 T ssd for data only

Several efforts to help myself: cleaned/resetted icon cache etc including re-installing Win 10.

Problem: With Classic Shell installed, some icons in taskbar get totally lost after rebooting, not even the famous "white square" remains:

a) Google Chrome: gets absolutely lost, even if you uninstall CS, reboot, add Chrome to the taskbar, reboot, re-install CS - after one to three reboots, Chrome again has vanished from the taskbar. As long as CS is not installed, the Chrome icon behaves normally in the taskbar.

b) Office 2016: Icons get lost similarily to Chrome, but do so only if you move a link to Word/Excel etc to the taskbar (e.g. a link which you had at your desktop). It doesn't get lost any more when you open the office programme directory and pin the .exe directly to the taskbar.

c) No problem with internal Windows apps / links resp., they behave normal in taskbar (Camera, "This PC", "Show Desktop", Edge, Calculator, Snipping tool etc.)

I'd really like to have Chrome and others available at the taskbar again...

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

It is unlikely that Classic Shell would cause pinned icons to disappear from the taskbar. It doesn't do anything with the icons.
Is it possible it was just a coincidence that there was no problem while Classic Shell was not installed?
Try running uninstalled for a few days to confirm that.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:04 pm 

Hi,

I tried for some days now, but things didn't change: It may be unlikely, but with classic shell installed in fact the pinned Chrome icon gets lost from the taskbar. For that, you don't even need a reboot -- logging out the user and logging in again is sufficient to let the icon vanish.

Without classic shell, the pinned icon keeps being pinned as it should. When I re-install classic shell, the icon runs up and away again, sometimes immediately at the next booting, sometimes at the second one.

Even extremely unlikely things love to happen quite fast...

What can I do to help finding out possible reasons?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:04 pm 

I too have been experiencing the vanishing icons and specifically problems with Chrome. For me this happened when I was updated to the Creator's version of Windows 10.

I found that in all but Chrome, if I pinned from the actual executable, I could get the program's icon to stick, but then I would get duplicate icons on the right side of the taskbar as I loaded the program. This is something I have reported in the Windows Community Forum, as I think it is related to Creator as the duplicate Icons as appear when in safe mode... i.e. not Classic Shell. The loss of the Chrome Icon occurs after a cold shutdown and subsequent reboot. I suspect that is also a Windows issue, though it might not be. It may be a difference in how Windows Interacts with Shell during the pinning process as per Creator.