It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:20 am 

Classic Shell 4.3.0, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit. Creators 1703 update installed through standard update, unasked. Problem occurred within seconds of the completion of the update. There was a message about Classic Shell incompatibility, and proceeded to "fix" the problem.

The desktop "blinks" every few seconds to a blank desktop and then immediately to the taskbar, showing -momentarily - the Classic Shell replacement start icon, then cycles and repeats continuously every three to four seconds. Uninstalling ClassicShell in Safe mode fixes it. The ClassicShell Settings apparently starts up ClassicShell, and the problem starts quickly, so there's no opportunity to disable for the current user.

I had just the ClassicShell menu and updater installed, not the IE or explorer components. I have had Classic shell several years before upgrading through 7/8/8.1/10, on this 4 year old HP notebook.

Killing the program from Task Manager worked during my first attempts so I was able to export an XML settings backup file. Today though, I can kill the task and it immediately restarts itself.

Attempted a few times to uninstall using utility program and reinstalling, no help.

Currently uninstalled, can't do without it, dreading it happening on my desktop, please help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 pm 

Sorry that you are having issues with Classic Shell and Windows 10 Creators Update.

From your description, it is clear that Explorer.exe is crashing with Classic Shell installed. We need to find out if it's crashing just due to messed up settings or there is some other DLL or incompatibility causing the crash. To eliminate the first possibility, download and run the special Classic Shell Utility to remove it including all settings: http://www.mediafire.com/download/3uker ... tility.exe

Even if you have uninstalled Classic Shell, use the Utility to remove it.

Then reinstall the latest version and see if the problem goes away.

If the taskbar still disappears and Windows is unusable after reinstalling, you can try to capture a crash dump: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6 I know it is hard to capture a crash dump when Explorer begins crashing at startup. But both ways mentioned in that thread, the alternative way too.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm 

Yes thanks. I wasn't clear about what I had done to troubleshoot this myself. I had uninstalled using the classicshellutiity.exe, and then reinstalled classicshell. twice, maybe three times before submitting this, and then did it one more time for the process dump.

One correction - it's Windows 10 Home, not Pro. I forget that this one Windows machine out of four I operate is Home version, 64bit.

Per your instructions, uninstalled, then installed 4.3.0. Had to kill task Classicshell in TaskManager, ran ProcDump and immediately Run As Admin ClassicStartMenu.exe, obtained dump, attached.

Also attaching Event Viewer error, explorer.exe failing

Attachments:
Classicshell_Event_Log.txt [1.75 KiB]
Downloaded 1007 times
File comment: ProcDump file
explorer.exe_170417_225415.zip [1.18 MiB]
Downloaded 848 times
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:04 pm 

I have the problem identified at least, and ClassicShell installed and working. The clue was in the event dump file, and also I discovered that Control Panel wouldn't stay up more than a second without Explorer.exe crashing. That new event identified the same
Faulting module name: IDTNC64.cpl, version: 1.0.6370.0, time stamp: 0x4ea4db03
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\IDTNC64.cpl

So I simply renamed \IDTNC64.cpl.

Installed ClassicShell, loaded my "Menu Settings.XML", running fine as is Control Panel. The "Beats Audio" red light on my notebook no longer illuminates, and the mute button on the RH side of the notebook is not functioning. The "Beats Audio" desktop app fails.

So I would assume that Creators Update 1703 has broken my Beats Audio. There is a C:\Program Files\IDT\WDM\sttray64.exe event failing at startup. Somehow all this is affecting ClassicShell.

Hewlett-Packard HP ENVY 14 SPECTRE 14-3010NR, 10/20/2012

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

Problem resolved.
Searched HP support site and found an update to Beats Audio
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-A ... 387#M83314
This is a download for sp63555.exe. With it installed, Beats Audio functions, the red beats light and mute button hardware, Beats Audio in Control Panel, and last .. Classic Shell v4.3.0.!!

I hope this can help someone with the same problem. Thanks for supporting this forum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:09 am 

same issues as above - different HP model = EliteBook 8460p with WIN pro64 Creators ver 1703 - tried above driver downloaded solution and quite a lot of others even from suggestion on the following page (might work for somebody else ) :
https://temposemi.com/applications/wind ... support-2/
as it looks like they (http://temposemi.com) have bought/inherited this part of IDT drivers and are suggesting the following 2 sources
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... aspx?q=IDT
plus
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q="Tempo"%20%2B%20"Audio"
NONE worked
Solution for Classic Shell to continue working "normally" was to reinstall as administrator AND in compatibility mode the old WIN64bit 8.1 drivers (ver 6.10.6433.0) from :
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... pc/5056942
Hope that this will save a few wasted hours to somebody out there
THANK YOU Ivo.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:10 am 

November 2017 update: - after 1709 version being updated/installed = same happened again & had to be corrected once more
Keep your IDT driver handy as it looks like it will happen in the future again with 1803 version
hope this helps to the poor souls out there in the "wild" when using WIN 10/64 1709