It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:43 pm 

I have upgraded Windows 10 to the Creator Edition and now I have lost some functionality. In Windows 7 or two column classic mode the recent applications no longer appear at all. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with out success. In two column mode only the programs that I have pinned appear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:51 pm 

For Windows 10 Creators Update, you might need to change a few Windows settings before your Start menu list of most-used programs works. There is a newly introduced option in the operating system's Settings app -> Privacy: "Let Windows track app launches to improve start and search results". Turn it on.

Then go to Settings -> Personalization -> Start and turn on "Show most used apps". After turning these on, your Start Menu frequent programs list will be functional once again.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:32 pm 

That did it. Thanks

(Why can't Windows just be an platform for launching programs instead of some kind of convoluted "awesome" user experience that Microsoft is trying to turn in to? <Rhetorical Question>)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 pm 

MS also ripped out "Advanced Display Options".

The "awesome" user experience you wrote about is 100 years old and called the "Model T" - any color as long as it's black.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:05 pm 

Hello,

My first foray into W10 has been the creators update. So far, not impressed.

The solution here doesn't work for me. I've also checked my group policy (User>Admin>Start Menu). The "Turn off user tracking" which controls the display of frequently used programs is not configured (meaning they should be shown).

Is there any where else that I need to check to make this work?

@cornan: The "awesome" user experience you wrote about is 100 years old and called the "Model T" - any color as long as it's black.
Some things are timeless and should never be removed. The advanced display options is not the only "awesome" feature of Windows that has been removed since W7. So much is gone the whole W10 experience feels hollow and empty :)

Thank you.
Tanya

I7-6900K @ 4.00ghz on ASRock Fatal1ty Professional Gaming I7 with 32GB DDR4-3200mhz. 960 Evo 1TB M.2 boot, Seagate 2TB NAS data, 2x27" 2760x1440 monitors; 1200w PSU; Kraken X61 cooler; 850 Pro SSD, NZXT Phantom 820 Case; ASUS GTX 980 Ti 6GB