It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: open file location
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:31 pm 

Just installed classic shell on windows 10 Dell PC. Love the Windows 7 look. However when I search for a file and right click on it, I don't see the option to "open file location". Searched help and didn't find this term. Is there a way to turn this on or is this a bug in Shell?

Post subject: Re: open file location
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Select "Explore". It is different than "open file location", which a Windows command for shortcut files.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:49 pm 

GREAT. Thank you!!!

Also another problem. I searched for part of a file name I've used for many videos I have in dropbox. The showed up in the Shell search. However, when I clicked “see more results” it went to “search results in indexed locations” and said “no items match your search”
However when in File Explorer I chose Dropbox and did the same search it found many.
Yet in “indexed locations” the Dropbox folder on my computer (in partition E of my hard drive) shows that Dropbox is checked and shows the many videos with that name (followed by dates, etc.)

Why doesn't "see more results" work?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:57 am 

@futurewave, this happens sometimes if any of your Windows Explorer related Registry entries are missing.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:43 pm 

Why would there be a registry problem and how do I fix it?

Also another problem. I can't drag folders or files to the classic shell start menu. How do I add my favorite quick-start items?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm 

futurewave wrote:
GREAT. Thank you!!!

Also another problem. I searched for part of a file name I've used for many videos I have in dropbox. The showed up in the Shell search. However, when I clicked “see more results” it went to “search results in indexed locations” and said “no items match your search”
However when in File Explorer I chose Dropbox and did the same search it found many.
Yet in “indexed locations” the Dropbox folder on my computer (in partition E of my hard drive) shows that Dropbox is checked and shows the many videos with that name (followed by dates, etc.)

Why doesn't "see more results" work?

I think I found why this is happening. The correct URL to use is:

search-ms:&crumb=location:::{9343812E-1C37-4A49-A12E-4B2D810D956B}&crumb=%2

To fix this, follow these steps:
1. Open Start Menu Settings
2. Go to Customize Start Menu tab
3. Now:

3-A:
If using classic style, add a sub-item for the "Search Box" item by dragging "Custom" from the right column and dropping it over the "Search Box" in the left column. Then double click Custom and enter this URL I mentioned above as the "Command".

Enter a text label, for example, See results in Explorer... and pick an icon.

OR

3-B:
If using Windows 7 style, add a Custom item on the Customize Start Menu tab by pressing the Insert key. Change "Administrative Tools" to "Custom". Now double click the icon of the "Custom" item and enter this URL I mentioned above as the "Command".

Enter a text label, for example, See results in Explorer... and pick an icon.

Now when you search for anything and click See results in Explorer... the results in your Explorer window that opens will be consistent with what the Classic Start Menu shows.

For now, you will have to ignore the built-in item called "See More Results" and use "See results in Explorer..." that you added manually.

Essentially, if you use more of the Advanced Query Syntax, the current implementation of "See More Results" sometimes returns an empty Explorer window whereas a search provider defined with this URL returns results consistent with the Start menu.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.