It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:48 pm 

Hello,
I am having difficulty creating new folders since the last update. I cannot create folders within the windows. I am creating them on the desktop then dragging them to the proper location. Attempting to create a folder freezes the selected folder. Any help available?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Are you talking about new folders in Explorer, or in the start menu? Are you talking about the update of Classic Shell, or Windows? If it is Classic Shell, what version did you update from, and what did you update to? Also, what version of Windows are you using?

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm 

thanks for getting back to me...the folder issue has to do with explorer...with the start menu I cannot get the flyout option with a mouse over on the programs, the whole start menu will then freeze if I click. I then click on the desktop area and the bottom taskbar turns grey and reloads itself then I can continue. This all started when I did a recent classic shell update. I also have a fairly long "load" time when opening/saving files through the open/save explorer windows. I don't know how to get the Classic Shell version info...can you tell me? I am running Windows 8 on a Toshiba Satellite.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

The Classic Shell version should be in the title of the settings, as well as in the Help file.
I still don't understand the problem - are you trying to create new folders in Windows Explorer, or are you trying to open Programs in the start menu? They are two very different things.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:30 pm 

version 3.6.7

maybe I can clarify as I have multiple issues...
1. From the File Explorer I cannot create New Folders (either from right click or the button at the top) I cannot create them from within a program(such as Adobe Illustrator when I attempt to save a new graphic and create a folder for that customer)
2. I also get a freeze in the Start/Shell button - Programs. I cannot open anything from the program folder.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

I see. I assume you mean that both problems started right after installing Classic Shell.
How is it that you can't create new folders? Is the option missing, it does nothing, or it freezes Explorer? I'm trying to establish if there is any connection between the two problems.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:43 pm 

correct. I appreciate you trying to help...the options are there, but when I try it, Explorer will freeze. If I try to create a folder from within, say, Corel Draw explorer will freeze and the program will give me the not responding error and will have to close to continue. If I am working directly in the file explorer it will freeze also, but I can click off it and the bottom taskbar goes solid grey and then fades back to normal within a few seconds and I can continue...I will attempt a screen shot

Attachments:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg [ 140.94 KiB | Viewed 20663 times ]
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

OK, try to capture a crash dump using the instructions at the top of this page. Run procdump -e explorer.exe, and then try to create a new folder. Do it a few times and attach the dumps here.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 pm 

will do...I will try to get it done tomorrow...thanks!