It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:10 am 

Been using classic shell for windows 8. never an issue in the past.

Last few days, the stat menu crashed, if I clicked it, it did nothing. Even after restarts/shut down.

I even uninstalled it and re installed it. same issue, the only option that RESOLVED IT, was system restore to about 6 days ago.

Well I don't know for sure it was classic shell, or something else, but nothing else was installed or played with. Nothing changed and there should be no reason for it to stop working.
anyway though I would share this and this SOFTWARE IS A LIVE SAVER to me.
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:51 am 

If it was just the start button crashing? and not the windows 8 start screen too. it is most likely classic shell. Though since you resolved the issue; troubleshooting may be kinda hard. A list of any changes you may have made before the menu broke might help, otherwise there really isnt any way of knowing why...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:39 am 

Same problem for me on Windows 10. The icon of the start button change in the default icon of windows, the start menu don't work and some icon on the icon tray disappear. Also if you open a program it doesn't appear on the bottom bar.
In some cases the problem is related to the shutdown button on classicshell menu. If I use the phisical button of the pc the problem occour less frequently
Reinstalling the video driver is a temporary solution because the problem comes out again. I had to uninstall classicshell
Everything goes well since two weeks ago, I suppose that some windows update create this problem but I can't say which one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:05 am 

Are you guys running the preview builds of windows 10? because there are often issues with them that get resolved before the updates makes the consumer release

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:32 am 

I have the latest stable release on Windows10 with all the update. In these days I made some new tests. I completely uninstall video driver and classic shell. The problem comes out again. Searching the web I found some other information about a similar issue and it seems related to a problem with the application from the windows store and the windows store itself.
I can say that in every case I had the problem with the start menu I've used Microsoft Solitaire collection. Today I'm going to uninstall it and try again

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:15 am 

solitaire collection is an odd app to be causing such a problem, are there any particular reasons you suspect it? aside from being on all the systems with issue?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:53 am 

I've suspected that it could be the problem reading on some ather forum and on microsoft supporto forum but after uninstalling it I'm not able to solve the problem.
Searching through the event log of windows I found that, in my case, the last record before the crash is:

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: Explorer.EXE, versione: 10.0.10586.104, timestamp: 0x56aaffa0
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: twinui.appcore.dll, versione: 10.0.10586.11, timestamp: 0x56457778
Codice eccezione: 0x80270233
Offset errore 0x0000000000166be4
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x2bc4
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d1930b713a4508
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\System32\twinui.appcore.dll
ID segnalazione: 17be9d6b-22db-46fd-b59b-f93c80f62fc4

I don't know how to solve it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 am 

Ok lets take a new aproach.. system restore to 6 days ago fixes the issue.. what has changed in 6 days?
Though, I'm probably not the best one on the forum for troubleshooting the issue; I suspect that something is interfering with appcore.dll have you recieved any windows updates in those 6 days? If-so try un-installing them 1 at a time, to see if that fixes the issue? You can always reinstall updates that don't fix the problem when removed.