It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:00 am 

First off all, thank you for producing such a useful product.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and since upgrading from ClassicShell 3.6.6 to 3.6.7 have encountered a number of problems. I overcame some of the problems by re-enabling the Windows Explorer addons in IE in the FAQ. However I've still got an issue where the settings applied in Classic Start Menu do not take effect. For example I've unticked "Show Search Menu", set "Shortcuts for the recent programs" to "No shortcuts" and a few other options, logged out and logged back in, but the search menu, recent programs and other options are still visible. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:15 am 

"Show search menu" means the search item you click in the Start Menu to open an Explorer window. Maybe you are trying to hide the Search box? To hide that, go to "Search Box" tab and set "No search box".

"Shortcuts for the recent programs" set to "No shortcuts" refers to the Keyboard shortcuts. To hide Recent Programs themselves, uncheck the option "Show recent programs" on the "Special Items" tab.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:32 am 

Thanks for responding so quickly. Your advice on the Search Box worked - after setting "Show search box" to "No Search Box", that took effect immediately. "Show recent programs on top" has already been unticked but recent programs are still visible. Enabling the option, then disabling it again made no difference. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:34 am 

"Show recent programs on top" means show them on the top of pinned programs. There is another setting just called "Show recent programs".

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:01 am 

Ah silly me. Disabling "Show recent programs" did the trick. When the Classic Explorer settings didn't work, I uninstalled and reinstalled ClassicShell 3.6.7 a few times and also rolled back to 3.6.6. When it still wouldn't work I then deleted everything relating to IvoSoft in the registry and on the local disk, which removed all my current settings. I'll back up in future. Thanks again for your help!