It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:37 am 

Hello,

We have Classic Shell installed on a Server 2012 R2 terminal server for testing, and also connect via RemoteApp (A reduced connection without a traditional explorer shell).
We don't intend to use Classic Shell when in RemoteApp (since there is no shell!) but we have noticed that when it is installed for normal desktop sessions, any RemoteApp sessions that are opened crash out on the RemoteApp process (rdpinit.exe) with a Faulting Module as ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll

Quote:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: rdpinit.exe
Application Version: 6.3.9600.17415
Application Timestamp: 54504afb
Fault Module Name: ClassicStartMenuDLL.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.2.4.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 55c7808a
Exception Code: c000041d
Exception Offset: 00000000000ce6cc
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.144.8
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 4330
Additional Information 2: 4330d2fef657c24dbbd687be2b1cf41d
Additional Information 3: 2c3c
Additional Information 4: 2c3cfea4c9d4c996ba42d1aa3c1707ef

I have attached two crash dumps captured from rdpinit.exe when the crash occurs.
The issue can be replicated in our environment just by connecting in via RemoteApp and waiting for a few minutes.
The crash does not occur when users connect to the same server in a full RDP shell.
The issue is resolved by removing Classic Shell. We only have the Start Menu component and updater components installed.

The version of Classic Shell is 4.2.5
Many Thanks,

Attachments:
rdpinit-crashdump.zip [212.75 KiB]
Downloaded 1445 times
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:59 am 
Site Admin

Looks like ClassicStartMenu.exe is trying to inject into the rdpinit.exe instead of explorer.exe. It is possible rdpinit is creating a window with the same class name "Shell_TrayWnd" as the taskbar. That's not a supported scenario.
I may add some extra safety checks in the future, but at the moment I don't know what they'll be.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:33 am 

That makes sense, my understanding is rdpinit is meant to be a lightweight shell based on explorer without most of the UX elements.
Is there any way to blacklist it from hooking into rdpinit? I don't mind helping test a solution, but we are going to have to push these servers into production at some point most likely without Classic Shell, which would suck because we all (and our users) love it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:42 am 

We are having the same problem with Classic Startmenu and Windows 2012 R2 RDS. Is there already a workaround available? RemoteApp is now crashing after a few seconds. Thnx!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Try the attached zip file. It replaces two of the files in the Program Files\Classic Shell directory.
You will have to exit the start menu when you do the swap. Right-click on the start button and select Exit.

Note that the attached file is only for Classic Shell 4.2.5. Replacing the files if you have a later version installed may not fix your issue and this fix below is most probably already included in versions of Classic Shell after 4.2.5.

Attachments:
ClassicStartMenu.zip [1.49 MiB]
Downloaded 1635 times
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:42 am 

It works :D
Thnx for the quick response!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:06 am 

@bottswana, can you try the fix too and verify it works? I could only get Classic Start Menu to crash once in a RemoteApp session with Word running and never again after that.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.