It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:17 am 

Hi,

I just added a Windows 7 look custom icon found on Google Pictures using the search term "Windows 7 start menu icon for classic shell". I found a nifty 3 x 1 icon which supports animation when clicking on the icon.

Unfortunately, I incorrectly assumed that Classic Shell would copy the Custom Icon to a safe place (%APPDATA%?), but it did not. So I specified an icon file on my desktop, then proceeded to delete the icon file on my desktop, and suddenly Classic Shell reverted to the original shell icon.

I'd like to suggest that Classic Shell copies the custom icon, if any, to a safe place in %APPDATA% or wherever appropriate when a custom icon is specified.

This was using v4.2.4.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Archfrog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:38 am 
Site Admin

Why would it copy the icon? That would make the setting "Button image" meaningless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:54 am 

for the very reason he stated.. I'm actually with him, in-that it should move the icons, startbuttons,and even the skins to a folder in appdata, because that way windows will create a backup automatically (and users are less likely to delete it) (I would even suggest making this folder the default save location for backup.xml files)

From a user standpoint its easier to
1. download a file to its default directory
2. find the file in its default directory
than
1.place the file in a 'safe' directory
2. find/remember that safe directory so users can group their icons

but the issue with the first, is now you have a file in your downloads directory, that is liable to get deleted (when you clear your downloads out)
If classic shell stored all customizable data in a safe spot, transfering to a new system would be faster and easier (since all the icons would be imported to the same relative file path)