It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:16 am 

When you Select a New Orb with the same name as the previous Orb, it doesnt Upload the new Image, just keeps the old one.. its a common bug in alot of programs.. I'm sure there's got to be a way around it... maybe refreshing the cache or ditching the old image no matter if its the same one or not.. requiring a new link, or something

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 am 
Site Admin

Replacing the orb is expensive. I only do it when the setting changes. Changing the path with the exact same path doesn't count - you didn't change anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:38 am 

I have no idea what you mean..

expensive? you mean time consuming to program a change?

there are some programs recently where they've fixed this behavior somehow to now reload the new image, even if its the same path

but anyway, just wondering if you knew about it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 am 
Site Admin

So you open the settings, don't change anything, exit, and expect something to change? It doesn't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 am 

he means opening the classic start menu control panel, navigating to the start button tab, clicking the button image buttons "...", and selecting a file with the same filename (and probably same filepath path) as the previous button.. then clicking the open button, then OK

I'm assuming he edited/overwrote the previous button file and is looking for a quick way to see the changes take effect....

logically shouldn't hitting OK should refresh classic shell... whether changes were apparently made or not. If you don't want changes to be made hit the X at the top corner, or cancel...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

You are talking about 2 different things - 1) Will the changes to the settings be stored or discarded, and 2) Will the changes be applied to the current start menu.

To change the start button image I have to destroy and recreate button. It is impractical to do it every time you press OK. That's why I only do it when the button setting change.

Opening the settings and re-selecting the exact same button seem to be the not most straight-forward way to reload the image. Simply exit the start menu and run it again.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:06 pm 

well it could change once you select the file from the open dialog, and then un-change later if u hit cancel button..
also couldn't you check the file for changes when the user re-selects the file with the open dialog (store the filesize and compare it to the new size or something)

and yes im aware that computers dont easily follow what is intuitive to user (although most users are aware of such issues (having to restart windows for updates, or log out/in for certain programs to install right ect).

personally im fine with how the setup currently is, and dont change the button often enough to care :P, i was just trying to clarify what i believe his point of view to be, because you didn't seem to understand?; although i have noted you using several computer related Idioms before and this could have been one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:34 am 

i dont mean destroy anything... i dont think its any work on your part really

I mean, browse to a new Orb, which happens to have the same name as the previous Orb, just over-written from a Graphics Program, completely updated image..

Otherwise you end up with 20 different useless images and one good image and then you have to rename the good image to make it easy to identify, then making changes to that one negates its name and the process begins all over again..

I just mean, I make 10 edits to an Orb I exported to PNG, and I want to use the same name (not a good idea in some graphics programs).. but after every edit, the new image isnt shown, even after browsing to and selecting the newest Orb.... and even if u close and re-open Classic Shell settings..

I dont see what the difference is between browsing to an Orb with new name and browsing to an Orb of the same name, since once I hit "OK" after browsing, I should see the most recent image

but if its difficult, dont worry about it..