It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:52 am 

Lately, I wanted to update my config file with new and changed parameters...

1 - Only some changes are exported in the xml, not the whole previous loaded configuration + updates
2 - I decide to modify the XML with the missing/changed values... the custom button logo size is ignored...

Another point: I would like to be able to disable auto-update and update notifications... I prefer manual updates when needed

Maybe in the next version?

Anyway, great software, nicely done full of functionalities

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 am 

Once you edit/touch any setting it becomes "modified" from the default and is shown in bold, and that means it will be exported. If you want only modified/changed settings to be exported, either do "Reset all settings" from the Backup button, makes the changes you want and then export them. Or you can restore individual settings to their defaults by right clicking the setting and choosing "Set default". When it becomes un-bolded, it means it won't be exported.

To update your config file, the recommended way is to load the earlier one, make changes and then save it again. As long as you click Cancel in the settings window, they won't be applied, so the settings window also acts as a graphical XML settings editor, where you can load any set of settings, make changes and overwrite the saved one.

To disable auto-update checking, open "Classic Shell Update" component from Start Menu folder, and disable the check.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 am 

This is what does not work properly though:

"To update your config file, the recommended way is to load the earlier one, make changes and then save it again. As long as you click Cancel in the settings window, they won't be applied, so the settings window also acts as a graphical XML settings editor, where you can load any set of settings, make changes and overwrite the saved one."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 am 

Ah, that is because, not all changes are live (although most are). Some settings take effect only after clicking OK. If you want to include the Start button in your configuration, you will have to click OK. Then open settings again and save it (and if you want to use another button again, browse to it again). That is not a bug, that is how it is. :)

See below. The XML with most current changes made should get saved without having to click OK.

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 am 
Site Admin

No, that should not be necessary. While not all settings are applied until you press OK (or even restart the menu), the XML file you save should contain the changes.

When you say "does not work properly", what do you mean? Provide an example of what setting you changed and what the XML after that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:32 am 

Oh Ivo is right. The most current settings are being saved to the XML without having to click OK (I guess I should have tried it first). What then do you mean by "does not work properly"? :)

Compare Start Menus