It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am 

Hi, i use windows 8 pro. I used an upgrade from windows 7.
My wife asked me to do something about the metro style of windows 8 since she simply can't find stuff she knows is on the pc.
I game a lot and have game on the system called Runes of Magic.

So, yesterday, i installed classic shell: looked good, exactly what my wife needed. Fidled with some skins etc, all nice.
Then i went on to play the game and after just a few minutes in game my complete system crashed with a blue screen of death (with the sad smiley).
This never happened before. Anyways, i thought i best give it the benefit of the doubt, so i tried again, crashed again and did it once more for good measure and crashed again.

I then "quited" the classic shell before starting the game. So i don't have the logo as start button anymore, but the system still crashes.

Well, who knows, maybe the classic shell and this game just don't go together, stuff happens. So i decide to de-install classic shell and reboot after that (it said it needed to to completely remove all changes).
However, the system still keeps crashing after just a few min's ingame.
The installation of the game itself didnt change and i haven't installed anything else in the last few days.

So my question is really, could it be that the de-install left something behind that my system can't handle ok?
Is there anything i can try to get this to work again next to a complete re-install?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Doesn't seem like your BSOD is related to Classic Shell. It doesn't mess with the Windows settings and doesn't leave any code behind after uninstall.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:17 am 

False issue, can be closed: It was my cpu fan that somehow got loose (one of the bracket pin's was broken).
That way the cpu fan came a few mm from the cpu, meaning that didnt cool anymore, causing crashes.
Was a pain to find.

Anyways: hardware trouble, not software :)
Sorry for the inconvenience.