It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 pm 

I am trying to update my Class Shell Start menu on my Windows 8 64 bit OS. Every time I try to install the newest version it stops near the end and gives me the error that "The feature you re trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." Also, when I try to manually uninstall the version I currently have, I get the exact same error message. I went though Command Prompt and enabled the elevated-administrator account and attempted to uninstall the old version or install the new version, but got the exact same error message. Now my start button has disappeared as well as all of the Classic Shell functionalities. If I am not able to solve the issue and successfully reinstate the Classic Shell features within a day or so, I will be purchasing Start8 and using that instead as if this is "unsolvable" it will become a useless piece of software to me and I will do my best to keep anyone I know away from it due to such a breach in functionality. Help is very greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

While I don't care much for your threats to "do your best to keep anyone you know away", I will try to help you.

Most likely you did some cleanup and deleted the uninstaller for the previous version. You need to uninstall it cleanly before you can install the new version. Download the installer for the old version, run it, and choose Remove. Once the software is uninstalled, reboot and install the latest version.

Or purchase Start8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:42 pm 

thats creepy.. it doesnt install OR uninstall..

so.. what, then, does it even do?

coming in and saying bad things about the one piece of software that makes Windows worth using isnt going to help your case.

so have you solved your problem?

and what version of windows are you using?

and have you tried disconnecting from the Internet & Home Network before running the installer?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 pm 

You need to download the installer for the exact version you are running to uninstall it. Old version installers are found at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/ :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:02 pm 

I'm having a similar problem with version 3.6.7. When I attempt to uninstall or repair, a warning message tells me that the Windows Installer Service cannot be accessed. If I restart the system, I note that service is running, but when I attempt to uninstall CS, I get that same warning, and see that the service has been stopped. Change, Repair, or Remove all return the same error message. If I enable the WI service and try a different application, I can uninstall, so at present it does not appear to be due to the WI service itself, but something CS is doing during execution.

Any ideas on how I can properly remove CS and then reinstall? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

You can enable the MSI logging as shown here: http://www.classicshell.net/faq/#install_commands
Maybe the logs can help figure out what's happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:21 pm 

Hi Ivo...I've run the following: ClassicShellSetup_3_6_7.exe /l* log.txt and have included the log file.

Attachments:
log1.txt [17.27 KiB]
Downloaded 1095 times
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:10 am 
Site Admin

Hm, looks like the error is "Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed."
It can be caused by corrupt MSI. See if these steps fix it for you: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 07e21e0b93

Actually, before you try to repair the MSI, try downloading Classic Shell again (make sure it is the same version you currently have installed). It may just be that the installer file is corrupt.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:40 am 

Ivo, sorry for the delay, away on business!

I downloaded the latest version, installed with defaults, then was able to uninstall. It appears that the previous 3.6.7 installer may indeed have gotten corrupted. In any case, thanks for your help...I put in a donation for your fine efforts as well.