It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:22 am 

I have an up to date Win7 x64 Home Premium system and I can't install any of Classic Shell 3.6.8/4.0.2/4.0.4/4.1 (Some background, I used to have 4.0.2 installed and decided to upgrade to 4.1 The upgrade failed, so I uninstalled 4.0.2 and tried again, but that failed too. Now I can't install any version.)

To debug, I did a command line install with the following options: /Iv* log.txt, and was able to narrow down the problem to:

Code:
DEBUG: Error 2894: Loading RichEd20.dll failed. GetLastError() returned: 126
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2894. The arguments are: 126, ,
Error 2894. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2894. The arguments are: 126, ,
MSI (c) (30:FC) [00:09:03:858]: Product: Classic Shell -- Error 2894. The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2894. The arguments are: 126, ,

Any help would be appreciated. (Google has been unhelpful thus far.)

Edit:
1) Trying to install it as administrator doesn't work.
2) Trying to manually register RichEd20.dll via regsvr32 fails.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:10 am 
Site Admin

The installer needs RichEd20.dll to show some text fields, like the EULA. I don't know why it is failing in your case. It is a system control that should always be available. Maybe it is not in the PATH?
You may try running Process Monitor to see where it is failing exactly.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:45 pm 

Thanks for the pointers. If I'm reading Process Monitor correctly, the installer (msiexec.exe) is trying to execute a CreateFile operation on RichEd20.dll, but it's not finding it because it's not looking in C:\Windows\System32. The closes place it's looking is C:\Windows and C:\Windows\SysWOW64. BUT, when I echo %PATH% on the command line I do get C:\Windows\System32, and when I run ClassicShellSetup_4_0_4.exe on the same command line I still get the same error.