It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

Post subject: Second Copy 8
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:29 am 

I recently upgraded from Second Copy 7 to version 8.1. It seems that Classic Shell prevents Second Copy from loading in the TaskBar.

Post subject: Re: Second Copy 8
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 am 

Classic Shell is a suite consisting of a Start Menu, and Explorer+IE plugins. It does not affect other programs or the operation of the Taskbar. It is not a full shell replacement and does not modify Windows in any other way.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Admin

If you suspect that Classic Shell conflicts with another software, you can try temporarily uninstalling Classic Shell and see if that fixes the problem. All your settings will be preserved.

I don't know what "Second Copy 7" is, but from the name it seems to be something that integrates into File Explorer. There may be a conflict with the Classic Explorer component, which also works with File Explorer. You can try uninstalling just that one. Run the Classic Shell installer, press Change, then uncheck "Classic Explorer".

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:09 pm 

My apologies for not replying sooner. This issue has not been resolved on my PC. I need Classic Shell, to get rid of Microsoft's infamous folder-scrolling "feature". I just spent a couple of hours trying to correct the problem of Classic Shell preventing some programs from appearing in the task-bar. I have installed and uninstalled Classic Shell many times on my PC (Windows 7). When Classic Shell is installed, BitDefender (http://www.bitdefender.com/) no longer appears at the task-bar. This is also true for Second Copy (http://www.secondcopy.com/). If I uninstall Classic Shell, they will appear. If I install Classic Shell again & reboot they disappear. I have repeated this cycle at least 6 times (installing, rebooting, uninstalling, rebooting, installing, ...........). Each time, I have tweaked the settings in Classic Shell to see if I could find a cure, to no avail.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:17 pm 

Try unchecking "Replace Start button" option but keeping the Start menu running. Does that make the tray icons load after reboot?

Compare Start Menus

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Did you do what I suggested by selectively uninstalling parts of Classic Shell, namely Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu, to see which of them is the problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:58 am 

Ivo wrote:
Did you do what I suggested by selectively uninstalling parts of Classic Shell, namely Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu, to see which of them is the problem?

Ivo,

Per your suggestion, I tried doing both of these. First, I installed Classic Shell without either Classic Explorer or Classic Start Menu. This corrected the issue I was experiencing.

Then I uninstalled Classic Shell, and reinstalled it except for Classic Explorer. This also corrected the issue.

Then I uninstalled Classic Shell, and reinstalled it except for Classic Start Menu. This also corrected the issue.

So, it appears that removing either Classic Explorer or Classic Start Menu, will resolve the issue.

If both Classic Explorer and Classic Start Menu are installed, then some of the icons in the task-bar will not appear (e.g., "Bit Defender", "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", and sometimes "Second Copy").

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:15 am 

I installed Second Copy 8 and Classic Shell with all components on Windows 7. Second Copy's tray icon appears every time for me. I have around 7-8 other tray icons. So unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the issue. There needs to be reliable way to repro it in order to fix it.

Compare Start Menus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 pm 

GauravK wrote:
I installed Second Copy 8 and Classic Shell with all components on Windows 7. Second Copy's tray icon appears every time for me. I have around 7-8 other tray icons. So unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the issue. There needs to be reliable way to repro it in order to fix it.

GauravK,

Does the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon appear in the task bar?

Also, you may want to install a trial version of Bit Defender and see if its icon appears (however, Bit Defender will want you to uninstall other mal-ware software).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:54 pm 

Yes "Safely Remove Hardware" icon appears.

Compare Start Menus