It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Before posting a bug report or a feature request, search the forum for an older post on the same topic. If you are reporting a crash, try capturing a crash dump. You can find instructions here: How to capture crash dumps

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:37 pm 

I have upgraded 3 of my computers, and have found the same issue with each computer: After installing ClassicShell, explorer will restart each time I attempt to click on start. After 15-20 minutes I see two command prompt windows quickly open and close, then about 5 minutes after that ClassicShell works properly. I would give more information, but there didn't seem to be any lingering background processes I could identify, and then the computers corrected themselves.

PC 1: Debranded HP (original model unknown), AMD A8, 4 GB RAM, upgraded from Windows 8.1 x64
PC 2: AMD A10 cpu, ASRock A85X motherboard, 16 GB RAM, Upgraded from Windows 8.1 x64
PC 3: HP Spectre XT Touchsmart laptop, Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, upgraded from a clean install of Windows 8.1 x64

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

I believe the crash is caused by a bad name for an app icon. It will be fixed in the next version.
Since the issue resolves itself after a little bit (and many people have reported they have no issues) I suspect a Windows update fixes it after it gets downloaded.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:06 am 

Until the next release of Classic Shell is out try this patch: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4822. Note that it is only for Classic Shell 4.2.3 and 64-bit Windows 10.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.