It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creative Mediasource
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:01 am 

New to this forum and an admitted computer idiot. I use Creative MediaSource music player/organizer and have found that Windows 10 does not like it (a twelve year old program, now unsupported, that 10 doesn't like; Preposterous!) Is there a way to "shell" it and allow it to function normally? A Windows 98 emulator?
I have looked into other Players/organizers and find them lacking in ease of use, functionality, or asthetics. Have spent hundreds of hours tagging, labeling, and organizing music to my specific tastes and am crying over the thought losing that time. Will understand if I am looking up an excrement creek...hopeful someone can find me a paddle...

Post subject: Re: Creative Mediasource
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31 am 

Might a Virtual Machine + Seamless/Unity mode be worth a shot, perhaps? Kinda of a blunt, arguably overkill approach, but I'd imagine it might atleast work...

Post subject: Re: Creative Mediasource
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am 

I've installed on Win 10 some very old programs, first of all, when installing, do it in compatibility mode, XP I think it's the best choice, then, once installed, depending what Windows "thinks", you can run it as is, or set it in compatibility mode and choose XP.
You've to try, I'm not using Win 10, the last time I booted my Win 10 partition was to "update" to FCU. Never used again, to say the truth, starting from the end of July (when it wasn't "free" anymore), I used it only 5 times.
But I always help friends with hardware and software problems, so I keep myself up to date.