It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:31 pm 

So i've been trying to uninstall classic shell from my computer because i just don't really want it anymore, i just want my normal windows 10 back, but, i have tried everything. The classic shell utilities, even going into my registries myself, i've done the normal control panel way, i've tried using some weird "total uninstaller" program, and everytime i boot my computer up to see the results i get disappointed to see what i didn't want to see. Does anyone know what i can do to completely remove it from my computer?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:51 pm 

This is a really wierd issue..

It sounds like 1 of 4 things
A: you have some kinda 'time capsule' software: schools often use this to ensure that students dont remove programs from their computers (you probably wouldn't be able to permanently install/uninstall anything)
B: A virus is reverting changes made on restart (somewhat unlikely tho)
C: its another piece of software you are mistaking for classic shell? (probably the most likely)
D: some wierd write permissions are preventing the system from deleting the program

If it is classic shell, the files are all stored at: C:\Program Files\Classic Shell by default (unless you specified elsewhere during install)
Does this folder exist, and can you delete its contents. This is by no means a clean uninstall.. but it should get the job done...
If you can delete its contents, but it re-appears after a restart, it is most likely some program restoring it.
Also if it really is classic shell, and all else fails, you can right click, go to settings, and from the 'basic settings' (or 'controls' tab if you have 'show all settings' enabled)
Find and change the following options:
"Left-click opens"
'Start button opens'
to 'windows start menu'

This wont uninstall classic shell, but instead tell classic shell to bypass its own menu in favor of the default.
Then the explorer toolbar component can be disabled by right clicking and unchecking 'classic explorer toolbar'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:32 am 

So.. I tried what you said, and even the left-click opens windows start menu doesn't work. I have no idea what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Download the Classic Shell Utility from here: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/
Run it, save a system log and send it to me.
Also show me a screenshot of what is happening instead of what you want to happen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am 

wait wait wait, i was digging through my computer to see if there was a program that might have been either like Jcee said that i was just mistaking for classic shell, and i found the program i was using before it started to suck and i switched to classic shell. It had stopped working when the windows 10 creator update was released, so im wondering maybe its just buggy because windows won't let me uninstall it in the normal way.. so im going to try and remove it, i'll keep you on further notice.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:56 am 

Ok well with some struggling i got rid of the program, and no longer have classic shell. My taskbar looks just like windows 10, but my start menu won't open up, neither with my notification tray, so what do i do now?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:08 am 
Site Admin

Classic Shell does not make permanent changes to Windows. I don't know what other software you had installed that was causing your "classic shell" problems, but you may ask their support for help.
Or it might just be a problem with your installation of Windows. A repair might help.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:01 pm 

Well, problem solved. I lost my patience in trying to get things functioning again, so i just refreshed my windows. and i'm glad to know it wasn't classic shell's fault. Thank you guys for your help and im sorry for wasting your time.