It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:47 am 

Wow! Are those users for real?
Almost as much as when there was a hack attack.

Attachments:
UNTITLED1.png
UNTITLED1.png [ 7.72 KiB | Viewed 24415 times ]
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:10 am 

To be honest, juniper7, I'm often surprised of the opposed...
For me, this forum deserves more attention, there aren't too much useful programs like these around, nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:40 pm 

The times I have been on, average is usually 50 to 100 users depending day/night.
When I saw that high number, I thought "OK what's up", anybody posting anything in particular? No.

Maybe everyone checking in to see if there is an update to fix the
various issues like no skin scroll, no skin taskbar, and high thread count.
I wouldn't be surprised if MS put in code to make it harder for CSM to work!
Am I being rational?

Even turning off CSM, This Win 10 Creator's Update is sure creating some weird $#it.
Parts of explorer window, or internet Edge will not draw fully, and end up with parts invisible to desktop.
I'm waiting for MS to fix problems. Only the updates from them, are just the usual App updates, fixing nothing.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:28 pm 

juniper7 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if MS put in code to make it harder for CSM to work!
Am I being rational?

Even turning off CSM, This Win 10 Creator's Update is sure creating some weird $#it.
Parts of explorer window, or internet Edge will not draw fully, and end up with parts invisible to desktop.
I'm waiting for MS to fix problems. Only the updates from them, are just the usual App updates, fixing nothing.

I see no reason to use Windows 10. It's the worst piece of crap. Stay away from it. Use Windows 7 or 8.1. :)

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 pm 

Briefly tried Win95- Don't remember much about it. Only used a few days. It had a cool hover car game!
Win98 for a while.- Constant crashing, restarting. Half liked it.
XP- Loved it.
Win7- Not so much. I think it was the new type of start menu.
Windows 8- It's ok. Just needed a start menu, which I got here.
I did not mind paying for all the above operating systems.

I sure wouldn't pay for Windows 10.
It's just the intrigue, to see where Win 10 is going,
that I stay with it. That's my reason to keep using it.

Restarting Win 10, after leaving on for a week or so,
has made the graphic issues go away.

Didn't Longhorn have some kind of problem, where if system was left on too long,
the explorer would keep using more and more resources, until it crashed?
I think Win98 had some kind of problem too, if it stayed powered up for too long.
Probably different problems. One was memory leak, the other time/date related, if I recall.

There, I didn't swear, or say anything really bad this time. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:19 am 

Gaurav wrote:
I see no reason to use Windows 10. It's the worst piece of crap. Stay away from it. Use Windows 7 or 8.1. :)

I completely agree. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 am 

juniper7 wrote:
Briefly tried Win95- Don't remember much about it. Only used a few days. It had a cool hover car game!
Win98 for a while.- Constant crashing, restarting. Half liked it.
XP- Loved it.
Win7- Not so much. I think it was the new type of start menu.
Windows 8- It's ok. Just needed a start menu, which I got here.
I did not mind paying for all the above operating systems.

I sure wouldn't pay for Windows 10.
It's just the intrigue, to see where Win 10 is going,
that I stay with it. That's my reason to keep using it.

Restarting Win 10, after leaving on for a week or so,
has made the graphic issues go away.

Didn't Longhorn have some kind of problem, where if system was left on too long,
the explorer would keep using more and more resources, until it crashed?
I think Win98 had some kind of problem too, if it stayed powered up for too long.
Probably different problems. One was memory leak, the other time/date related, if I recall.

There, I didn't swear, or say anything really bad this time. :)

I started with Win 3.11 (using Windows, not PC).
Then, the route is mostly the same, Win 95 (not so bad).
Win 98 (a good version).
Millennium (some good potential).
XP (I loved it!).
Win 7 (still using now).
...and Win 10 (waited until the last day of the free update, then... ugh! ...parked there and not touched anymore.)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:21 am 

Millennium edition- Someone from work gave me a free update cd. The only problem I remember, was some software would not install.
I went back to Win98. Not knowing at the time, ME had good stuff under the hood, like a restore feature.

I plum forgot about an evil operating system, worse than everything else, including Win10.
The name - Vista. Shop owners told me don't buy, because of driver problems. I never bought license for myself.
I did buy a complete HP Vista system for a relative, as a gift. Many problems, thereafter.
In the end, I put Win7 on system for her. Worked great. No bugs, no driver issues, and was easier on ram memory.
Progress shifts. She switched to Win7 laptop, and now smart phones are her primary operating systems.

In my eyes, the Vista visuals were better than Win7.
Hey, remember the fun times.
We would install Vista lookalike theme on XP to look cool. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 am 

I completely skipped Vista. :x
...however, back in the old days, I used a simile Vista interface and some add-on, to have, at least, some of the few interesting new features in XP. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:01 pm 

aside from the spyware, and the spam (very big issues that should not be present in an operating system that you pay for), windows 10 is quite nice, and it is fun to see how its evolving. (this can be a problem at times, when various tweaks you make get reverted, or removed. and cant be re-applied, but its still worth it IMO)

According to certain sources, about 1/3 of all windows 10 users use cortana regularly.. maybe they did something right here, (if she didn't require most of the previously mentioned spyware to run)

The app store is meh, and even microsoft agrees that its adoption is sub-par. Though this absolutely has potential (look at steam, every pc gamer uses it)
It would be useful if:
It could work with all programs, not just apps. (everyone already has programs they love, and a method (internet) to find them. If microsoft wants a migration, they need to offer an incentive to do so.
Storing all your programs settings (so they can sync across devices, and are not lost upon reinstall) would absolutely be a good start. 'Legacy' programs shouldn't reinstall on their own; but instead pop up in the notification tray prompting for install.

I love task view, and the multiple desktops feature baked into windows 10. along with the improvements it has made to multi-monitor taskbars.
The notification area is a good idea, but poorly implemented (particularly because of spam)
The settings page is an oddity, though it seems more functional than the control panel of old (yes you still need the control panel, and they should make it more accessible, but its nice to have most of the common things on their own page)