It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:10 pm 

So who's on Windows 10?

Being a long-time windows use (since Windows 95), I don't generally touch New Windows Versions at least until the first SP, usually the 2nd..

And I've not used Windows 10, I'm on Windows 7 Pro x64

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Windows 10? MS says its the OS our children will be using, but I'm wondering why they think our kids will be doing anything without our say-so.. seems a bit perverse..

anyway, so is there no x64 version of Win10? what is the max supported RAM on w10? and how does it compare to Win7pro?

I doubt I'll be migrating anytime soon. I'm also interested in how the firewall etc works, and if its a platform that limits freedom by controlling installs or existing programs or checks sources or works for the music industry or any kind of apple-esque BS

Any reason one might actually want or need to change to WM10?

thanks for any info

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 pm 

Well it works like this: Microsoft offers a FREE, and automated way to upgrade, that pops up on windows 7, and 8/8.1
This means that many people have 'upgraded' So yes there are quite a few windows 10 devices out there.. so it is likely that schools and stuff will be participating in the upgrade.. (free and easy)

As far as what I think about windows 10...
Better than 8, worse than 8.1 (slightly, but I would still upgrade, because improvements are likely to come)
There are a few things I do really like:
The fact that apps can now be used in windowed mode, and virtually all fullscreen interfaces were removed (solvable on 8/8.1 with 3rd party software, and N/A on 7)
The new Task view, and multiple desktops.

My main gripe is the fact that some context menu's wont even pop up on my secondary monitor (IE if i try to bookmark a webpage in chrome, I have to move the window to my primary monitor to do so), Which to my knowledge isnt something affecting everyone with multiple monitors.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:10 pm 

Didn't even know win8 took away windowed mode.. Glad I skipped that one.

It seems most of the win10 users have been tricked / forced into it, which throws up a whole heap of red flags..

I was not impressed with the way they tried locking everyone into the upgrade. I really hated that it was a hidden update.. Just a random update number that you had to go look up online to find out it was the windows 10 updater.. I really really can't stand that BS.. Its just dishonest.. Seems they're really just bulldozing it through.. Pretty Fn ballsy for a company that consistently releases more problems than it ever solves..

Its Shady all around.. fk em. I'm skipping it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:27 pm 

It didn't, only the new 'apps' were limited to full-screen. (basically windows now has an equivalent to the google play store) 95% of the old programs still worked in virtually the same way Windows 10 just bridged the gap, allowing apps to function properly in the desktop environment, and doing away with fullscreen interfaces. and yes it is shady that its given away free but my bet is they collect data or something

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:05 am 

Windows 10 is complete junk/garbageware - yes there are new features that are simply less exciting, less useful and less relevant than the ones they are TAKING OUT or reinventing. Stay with Windows XP or Windows 7/Vista. Besides some nice casual games in the App Store, there is nothing of value for me in Windows 10 that is an improvement over Windows 7 and its Win32 classic app platform. Dozens of long standing features of Windows from XP days and Windows 7/Vista have been removed and overall the whole OS is tremendously dumbed down, offering less choices, less configurability and less control than earlier releases. Visually also, Windows 10 is hideously ugly. It offers no control over updates at all. Everything about Windows 10 - performance of "apps" and any aesthetics, UI intuitiveness, usability, backward compatibility (especially old Win32 games) is crap.

The big mistake is that WinRT/UWP is a mobile-first platform. It is not suitable for desktop use, it is not a superset or continuation of Win32. The Universal App Platform (WinRT-based APIs) are incomplete and the controls they use are unusable and ugly compared to Win32. Its concepts like responsive UI design, PWAs are flawed and do not offer the best user experience on Desktop. Features like Cortana are gimmicks and ruin the Start Menu search. Third party apps offer better alternatives for almost everything - VistaSwitcher is better than Task View, AquaSnap is better than the built-in snapping.

The only improvements for me are DirectX 12, SMB 3 and Bluetooth audio profiles (the latter two were present in Windows 8 too) - none of them good enough to call Windows 10 an improvement over Windows 7 especially when the user experience has regressed so badly.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:33 am 

I would have to agree; if your on 7/vista, stick with it.. if your on 8 might as-well upgrade
If your on xp.. well sadly its at end of life, and alot of new software just wont work on it. so I would suggest installing 7 on anything newer, unless it has a touchscreen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:33 am 

Gaurav wrote:
Windows 10 is complete junk/garbageware - yes there are new features that are simply less exciting, less useful and less relevant than the ones they are TAKING OUT or reinventing. Stay with Windows XP or Windows 7/Vista. Besides some nice casual games in the App Store, there is nothing of value for me in Windows 10 that is an improvement over Windows 7 and its Win32 classic app platform. Dozens of long standing features of Windows from XP days and Windows 7/Vista have been removed and overall the whole OS is tremendously dumbed down, offering less choices, less configurability and less control than earlier releases. Visually also, Windows 10 is hideously ugly. It offers no control over updates at all. Everything about Windows 10 - performance of "apps" and any aesthetics, UI intuitiveness, usability, backward compatibility (especially old Win32 games) is crap.

The big mistake is that WinRT/UWP is a mobile-first platform. It is not suitable for desktop use, it is not a superset or continuation of Win32. The Universal App Platform (WinRT-based APIs) are incomplete and the controls they use are unusable and ugly compared to Win32. Its concepts like responsive UI design, PWAs are flawed and do not offer the best user experience on Desktop. Features like Cortana are gimmicks and ruin the Start Menu search. Third party apps offer better alternatives for almost everything - VistaSwitcher is better than Task View, AquaSnap is better than the built-in snapping.

The only improvements for me are DirectX 12, SMB 3 and Bluetooth audio profiles (the latter two were present in Windows 8 too) - none of them good enough to call Windows 10 an improvement over Windows 7 especially when the user experience has regressed so badly.

Thanks for that..

that's kind of what I feared..

To me, Win8 looked like an attempt to make a single OS for Desktop and Mobile Phones. Win10 seems to be solidifying that even further

The concept is completely flawed at its core, and its something I've tried advocating since Windows Mobile 2002, only to be slathered with mindless apple-groupie banter at every turn, and on every forum.

The proper evolution should have been for Windows Mobile Devices to continue bridging the gap between the highly functional and customizeable Windows Mobile 2002 platform, and Windows XP, Utilizing the screen resolutions as they progressed from 640x480 screens up to HD, to improve the ability to use a fully-functioning Windows XP on a mobile device.

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

we had to all be betrayed by that clown of a company HTC that decided for the planet that we should all mimic iPhones instead. because, hey, if all the iPhone customers like it, and all the old people, kids, and tech-incompetent soccer moms out there were switching to iPhone, well then, that just means everybody should be forced fed a child-like interface with big colorful squares to push.

We've been dumbed down since the day Android came out, in fact. From the day that disgusting braindead soccermon apple interface oozed its way over onto other platforms and all of our mobile devices now became things for your thumb to fliip around and exactly nothing else.

Even blackberry's usefulness is completely gone..

and I really thought Windows 7 would smarten up and have a version for Windows mobile phones that would work like a desktop on your phone.

Mobile CPUs, GPUs, Screen Resolution, RAM, etc are all way better than Desktops were when winXP came out

And I'm sickened to see that all that computing power and screen real estate has been reduced to some fking BS you flip to and fro with your thumb whilst playing pocket pool in your slacks on the way to the elevator

Windows 7 should be available on an HD or Quad HD Mobile Device.

The only thing Microsack should have been working on is a way to make zoom, panning, screen resizing, and window snapping more intuitive and automatic for mobile hand-held devices.

As well as creating docking systems for Monitors and Keyboard / mouse so that you can do all of your computing on your hand held device, and not even need a desktop for most things, nor even a tablet.

And that phone should send display to tablets and tvs around the home

and come built in with 4 removable micro sd slots on the external surface of the phone, that can also be used for RAM emulation, as well as for internal HDD Storage

and thats all they should have been doing

rather than embarrassing everyone with their Windows Phone OS.

It's not too late for them to create a Windows MOBILE 7 and leave Windows Phone 7 for the grandparents, toddlers, soccermoms, and corporate baffoons.

but they're running with their Windows Phone crap, to 8, and soon 10... turning our desktops into useless soccer-mom garbage mega-giant-phones, rather than making our phones useful powerful machines for techies.

its just ridiculous.

all its serving to really do is drive everyone away from computers altogether.

The farther these things progress, the more time I spend outdoors uninterested in computers at all.

so.. thanks but no thanks.

Last edited by Tenzen on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:46 am 

it should be a touch of a button interface switch from Windows 7 Pro, to some candy phone swiping yeehaw, then back.

there was a phone that came out very briefly that went from a full OS, when shutdown, to a few basic messaging features. but your OS wasnt booted, and that was a long time ago, on like one device.

This way, you can use your phone in Windows 7 style, as well as plug it into your home monitor for the exact same desktop experience, utilizing full versions of programs, not apps.

Then click the corner or something and switch to an on-the-go screen, more like a functional screen-saver where you could answer calls, access messaging, play with the little cutesy mobile apps, etc. then exit the screen saver mode and get right back to the full desktop window 7 on your full HD device.

then when connecting to your home controls that havent even been invented yet, you could launch a different screen to control your home appliances or whatever kind of Sci-fi BS nobody is even bothering to invent.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:06 am 

Microsoft is purposely not bringing DirectX12 to Windows 7, eventhough its still by far the most popular Windows OS in current use, simply to (yet again) try and force people into their Win10 downgrade

Most of us came from XP directly to Win7, and that only because it was the only viable replacement for XP.

We remained on XP even through MS's push to get everyone off of it.

In the end, Microsoft was so desperate to get people off of Windows XP, they actually put on a straight face for once and created a real OS, with real programming. They called in the best programmers they had available, who they normally have painting the walls and mowing the lawns apparently, and somehow created in Windows 7 what took them over a decade to complete with Windows XP, which actually wasnt really complete at all, even after SP3

Windows 7 is their best OS to date.

We've all suffered miserably through the countless fails and mishaps MS has created over the past 20+ years

If they think not bringing DX12 to W7 is going to force people into W10, they can go Fk themselves.

I would rather never buy another new game from any game company, ever.

so, screw off game companies, I'm not paying you jack sht for your game because Im not being forced into any OS by Microsack so that they can feel they're fkd up ideas for an OS were a success. They're not.

so, oh well.. guess I'll be using my PC for things other than games. Hence, the reason I have a PC and not a PS or Xbox, FYI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:42 pm 

most games support older versions of direct X I believe, and especially if it a large portion of machines are forced to use that old version.

that said, I would greatly prefer windows 8/10 on mobile devices, but what they did on 8 should have never affected the desktop experience.
On 10 they are actually doing things differently, and at-least detecting what type of device windows is being ran on, before feeding the touchscreen experience to the user (and even that is optional)
If you look into windows continuum Its quite promising. (Would I prefer it with the features and stability of 7; ofcourse, but ill take it over an android phone) The point is, its their OS, and they can take it wherever they wish (wherever the money leads) It makes me sad sure.. but i'm not going to take it personal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:33 pm 

It's impossible not to take it personal when they're personally attacking people.

Forcing you to upgrade

Making secretive obscure upgrades appear to be a part of normal OS patches

Ending mainstream support for their only good OS, and most popular OS to force migration to a crappy dikhead os

Not porting DX12 to the most widely used and most stable OS so they can get people to jump on board the fairy train to neverland.

Making a crappy phone OS into a desktop OS.

Getting rid of desktop OS we all know and love for some slap-happy tile BS

Getting rid of Windows Mobile and trying to be a finger game..

Its all ms bs. And flies in the face of users, reason, logic, and common sense.

Microsack can choose to produce pink lollipops rather than computer programs, it really doesn't matter to anyone what the fk they think they're going to do. Its utter crap and complete BS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:03 am 

An operating system has a 10 year lifespan; this is the promise made by microsoft when you purchase a copy of windows. Windows XP, was GENEROUSLY given an extra 5 years of support to (that they were not obligated to in any way) I suspect they will do the same with 7.
I've still got a windows 7 PC, and one with windows 8.1, and other than a little popup ASKING me if I wanted to upgrade to windows 10 for free.. It has made no attempts to upgrade without my consent...
Now there have been some things, I've been displeased with (the removal of widgets in windows 7 for example, when they were a key feature PROMISED to its users) No I didn't use them.. (well I did actually use 2-3 of them for a while), It was about principal.
And again, its unlikely that any games will require DX12 for a while (even if they support it, they will probably run in a lower version just fine) This will probably remain, as-long as windows 7 holds a sizable market share.

Besides its never to late for microsoft to decide on porting it to 7/8, Though I suspect some fundamental reasons might make this difficult (or cause major performance issues)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 am 

that didnt just "appear"

it was covertly installed in a core update

that might seem peachy to you, but its spam to everyone else. thats crap practice. nobody does that but crap developers and crap companies.

you may enjoy the additional windows icon on your taskbar telling you to upgrade, nonstop, but let me assure you, nobody else does.

you are a windows 8 guy, you made that clear when it first came out. thats great, I'm glad theres a certain group of people who love everything MS puts out, before its even put out. I suppose the developers may even expect that from the people of earth who they command and control with every line of god-code they create.

but over here in this part of the world, where Microsack doesnt mean crap, they're just a sorry bunch of daft pricks who think they can get everyone to give up perfect OSs for crap mickeymouse OSs.

and yes, I know a large majority of users enjoy mickeymouse BS, and even demand it.

and I'm happy they create mickeymouse OSs for those people out there who like playing with computerstuff.

but they need to pull their heads out of their **** if they they want to be taken seriously by any of the rest of us Windows users contemplating moving to Linux rather than be spoonfed soccermom garbage, those of us still on Windows 7, the overwhelming majority of Windows users, the people who've been on Windows 95 and XP most of their lives.

don't pretend you're one of us because you have a Windows 7 computer somewhere, when you're an avid user of Win8 and quite giddy about Win10 and anything else Microsack does.

MS can take its promises and shove them. and You need to wake up. Microsack didnt "graciously allow users to continue using XP", ok? WE, the XP users, told Microsack to shove their BS up their ***** until they came out with Windws7. If no Windows 7, we'd all still be on XP.

and nobody gives a hoot or a hollar what microcrap thinks they're going to have us do. WE tell Microcrap what we'll do, irregardless of the little sadsacks' megalomaniacal demands.

Windows 7 will stand as long as we say it will stand. And it will stand until there's something we, the power users of win95, win98, NT, XP and 7, say its canonical and properly functioning enough to put our lives into.

and no, thats not Win8, 8.1, or this Win10 spam-it-to-win-it bollox

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:49 am 

It may actually be time to start creating ghost copies of Win7 with specific updates applied only.

I think everyone needs to start making Ghost copies from this point on. Microsuck seems to be using its Windows Update to enforce its Windows 10 upgrade..

Its natural to assume things will only get worse for Windows7 users from here on out, as they launch their campaign against us in what appears to be an all out war on 7 users, or non-10 users.

It's safe to say things will begin to get more and more unstable with Win7 as they attempt to create reasons to move to win10.

Hence, 7 needs to be ghosted with some fresh installs, and not installing the "critical update" that installs the win10 perma-spam machine.

Everyone should have a Ghosted copy of a clean Win7 install with every update released prior to the Win10 spam machine, and then disable Updates..

I guarantee this is what we're going to need in the very near future. and when we do need it, the current updates will all be corrupted to include unstable code so that nobody can again find a stable Win7, as the campaign against us progresses and increases in its intensity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 am 

I suspect, and this is my fringe opinion, that MS has in fact been covertly taken over by a clandestine intelligence branch of the U.S. government, sometime after the creation of the Vista OS, or perhaps even when Gates got out

I believe Apple was taken over when Jobbs was still alive and in control, and that he was likely with the CIA or whatever organization that little Facebook dweeb also belongs to.. and was the reason he fell sick and died, having created crap that tailors to the needs to intellectual property rights only, superseding any legal use or control by the user. good riddance to him.

and then they put their top government programmers to work, and for the first time in Microsoft's history, were able to create an extremely stable OS in Windows 7

whoever created windows 7 was definitely of a WAY higher caliber than the people who worked on XP.. they brought people in for Vista, and just took over for 7.

and the 8 implementation seems to further get people and their info more online and active in daily life, and win10 seems another step in the direction that would make a lot of sense for a government agency to implement, but almost no sense for a computer company interested in the computing needs of computer users to implement.

it really only makes any sense when viewed from a government perspective.

Last edited by Tenzen on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:15 am 

Conspiracy Theories aside.. (They very well may have planted a back-door or 2 in its core coding) I actually like 7 better than 8/10...
Is there no easy way to disable the little Icon that ask if you WANT to upgrade? Yes its slightly inconvenient for a minute or so, but considering how 'stupid' people can be, a fool-proof way to help the masses upgrade was IMO warranted. and that's what windows 10 is targeted at..
Also there will always (for quite a while atleast) be clean copies of windows 7, because there will always be torrents ;)
Every update in windows 7 can be uninstalled, even after it has been installed..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:28 am 

Fortunately, the game manufacturers have no loyalty to Windows 10 or DX12, and will likely still be making games that most of its PC gaming crowd can use with their Win7 machines.

Unfortunately, this also makes it more likely that more game manufacturers won't even bother porting their games to PC anymore, which was already hard enough to get them to do.

QuadHD, which I guess is a main thing in DX12, doesnt improve much for computer monitors as doubling the HD pixels on a relatively small screen size doesnt help to improve perceptible quality much at all, as there exists more data than the human eye can even perceive. QuadHD will do nothing at all for mobile phones or computers unless they build a way to use auto zoom, panning and snapping in for access to the real estate, rather than simply doubling the existing pixels in everything we see, leaving everything unchanged, like they did when HD came out.

I just don't feel they know what to do with screen technology as it comes out. everything stays exactly the same size, the only thing it does for us is make everything more glossy and annoying, as if the sum of all that work making higher resolutions was simply to make things look more plastic-like

Current Scrolling really sucks.. we should actually be able to zoom in and out on our desktops like you do in any graphics program, then zoom to cursor, or click on dynamic highlighted areas that shift, or drag the mouse to an area to fill the screen.. We should be able to have 4 or 8 full page programs open and viewable at the same time, with an adjustable resolution that lowers in quality scaleable with the needed screen real estate size you select.

text is text whether its on 640x480 or 4K resolution. And creating 3D Graphics is creating 3d Graphics, on 640x480 or 4K.

The only thing they've used the Resolution for is watching tv, playing games, and fingerfking apps to death.. as if it has nothing at all to do with computing..

and nobody cares that microsack has created a new DX12 that can use 4K to make everything function exactly as it functions now, but with even more shiny glossiness

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:18 am 
Tenzen wrote:
So who's on Windows 10?

Being a long-time windows use (since Windows 95), I don't generally touch New Windows Versions at least until the first SP, usually the 2nd..

And I've not used Windows 10, I'm on Windows 7 Pro x64

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with Windows 10? MS says its the OS our children will be using, but I'm wondering why they think our kids will be doing anything without our say-so.. seems a bit perverse..

anyway, so is there no x64 version of Win10? what is the max supported RAM on w10? and how does it compare to Win7pro?

I doubt I'll be migrating anytime soon. I'm also interested in how the firewall etc works, and if its a platform that limits freedom by controlling installs or existing programs or checks sources or works for the music industry or any kind of apple-esque BS

Any reason one might actually want or need to change to WM10?

thanks for any info

The max RAM supported for Win10 Home is 128 GB, for Win10 Pro and other editions, 2 terabytes of RAM.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 am 

NoahNicholsFourm wrote:

The max RAM supported for Win10 Home is 128 GB, for Win10 Pro and other editions, 2 terabytes of RAM.

Is there any home user exist who uses 128 GB RAM? LOL! I'm still using 4MB RAM :)

Updated: Now I'm using 12MB Ram in my new company Al Muheet Tech office. Our team is still waiting for 128 GB of RAm so that they can easily work on their project. there are hundreds of active website design companeis available here in UAE but I never heard from any website design Dubai company employee that they use 128 GB of RAM.

Last edited by Hingoro on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:01 am 

Hingoro wrote:
Is there any home user exist who use 128 GB RAM? LOL! I'm still using 4MB RAM :)

Same here. Had to fix high ram usage in Windows 10.

Last edited by Kalvin Phillips on Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 am 

ive got 32gb here; if you want to run alot of VM's or a large ramdisk 128gb is within the realm of posibility, just not likely (maybe 1 in every 100,000 users have this much, and atleast 99% of them would have gotten windows 10 pro over home anyways..)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:22 pm 

Anyone else have this odd problem with Microsoft Edge on Win10?
If I resize window bigger, desktop shows through. The more I pull window, the more invisible. :lol:
Happened with Creators Update.
Internet Explorer, Firefox work fine.

My opinion-Win 10 is still a baby learning to walk.

EDIT: Ah! Edge works again thanks to new Win 10 Cumulative Update KB3213647
MS takes it away, and gives it back. Thank you

Attachments:
Microsoft Edge turning invisible.png
Microsoft Edge turning invisible.png [ 19.96 KiB | Viewed 66366 times ]