It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outlook Express
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:14 pm 

For what it's worth, I have been having some luck with an old email friend from XP called Outlook Express. I see no need for a large email client, like Outlook and I have seen similar "new" programs like Classic OE and even have downloaded and installed the free version. It's problem was associating itself with my Outlook Express Databases in a separate G: drive I have on my computer. I set up all the store folder in my XP Partition in one folder, with each email account in it's own folder.

Now with a new Outlook Express program I got from http://www.RunAsXP.com it has been going fairly well getting a syncronization between the 2 different operating systems and the share of several email addresses stored in separate folder (under one folder) on one of my drives. Since they each use the same .dbx format, as it really is Outlook Express 6 but tweaked to actually work within Windows 8.1. Classic OE used a similar but different database called an .mbx

Now when I open my email in OE in widows 8.1 I can see all the previous emails in the inbox, as well as in each individual folder and custom folder I created in my XP. On top of that any new email is stored in the same "named" folder in that folder of databases. So, when I go back into XP I can open OE and low and behold all the emails I sent or downloaded when in Windows 8.1 are all there as well.

Just passing this along... Even though the OE that is at the runasxp site is in essence, Outlook Express by Microsoft, it is really not sold by them. You have to donate a minimum of 10.00 to become a member, and then you can download as it is only open to members. This way I guess it gets around the "can't sell" portion of the license agreement, as you are just donating to become a member of the forum and the download is only available for supportive members.

This link shows a little bit of the program. http://runasxp.com/Thread-Outlook-Expre ... 0-DOWNLOAD

I, for one am glad for it as that was one determining factor (lack of a decent start menu was the other) for not getting more involved in other newer stuff from MS as I liked, and still DO, Windows XP.

Vern

Post subject: Re: Outlook Express
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:56 pm 

The version you linked requires a paid key.

This is the last free version:
http://www.p-u.demon.nl/oe6_1.6.7.exe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 pm 

The "Paid" version is version 2.0, which has some bug fixes and improvements over ver 1.6.7 It's actually not a "paid" version as such as you only "donate" a minimum of $10.00 to the forum admin for the help of offsetting the cost of web hosting. Paid members of the forum can download the new version 2.0.

I'm not sure how well that older 1.6.7 version would work.

Vern

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:34 pm 

Quote:
It's actually not a "paid" version

It is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:21 am 

I have tried this and YES it works on my Windows 7. The only thing is that it over writes Windows Mail from Windows Vista. But the way round this to get WM working again. is to re name the Windows Mail old file back to Windows Mail. Now both Windows Mail and Outlook Express are running on my Windows 7. Though I am not sure if it is a good idea or not to run both OE and WM on the same computer. Since they both share the same files.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:09 am 

Yes, I know this thread is quite old but I also just downloaded the version 1.67 and it seems to work.
But I wonder if this application is really save to use since it's been tampered with...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:39 pm 

I tried it on Win 10 1709.
Didn't find any malware, just never opened.
Had an OESys Tray window "Run-time error '75':"

If you go to some thrift stores, like Salvation Army,
they will sell used Office suite discs for 2 to 5 dollars.

My last "eliminate waste/storage" employer would throw all the last Office versions in recycling.
So crazy sometimes. You don't need a summer fan in winter, throw into the recycling bin.
We'll buy you another fan next summer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:05 pm 

Yes, this runtime error is because you need to run it as administrator.

But even though it's not malware per se I don't really know if it's a good idea to use it because after all, it's an email client and therefore there's a lot of stuff you don't necessarily want to mess around with like your e-mails and your passwords etc.
And even the protected storage service thing in Windows 7 needs to be patched in order for OE to work properly so all your passwords (at least the ones Windows takes care of) are maybe in danger.

And yes I know, older Office versions are quite cheap but as far as I know and older version of Outlook won't work with Windows 7 and apart from that: Outlook isn't Outlook Express.

But anyway, Windows Mail is an alternative, the only thing that bothers me is that it takes about 5 seconds to open whereas OE only needs half a second.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:11 pm 

Oh yeah, it can work now, with run it as administrator.

Yes, Outlook Express was very fast to open, when I used in XP days.

Yes, Outlook is totally full-blown, mostly for business.

I used to use a web-based simpler Outlook in one job:

https://owa.company name.ca/owa

or

https://outlook.live.com/owa

Outlook live works better than the sucky Windows 10 Mail app.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:45 am 

juniper7 wrote:
Oh yeah, it can work now, with run it as administrator.

Win Win2000 and Runasinvoker compat flags it will not ask for elevation. It also will have Win2000-style icons.