It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:29 am 

Hello.

I honestly do not know if this is a classicshell issue, or a windows 8 issue. I've spent hours looking trough google searches for every possible search combination, but I cant find anyone else with the same exact problem. This could be some weird windows 8 issue itself as well, but I figure i'll ask here as well as on the dlink forums and MS support once I get access to my old hotmail account.

I bought a Dlink NAS 320L, everything works fine and I had no issues setting it up, however on my only windows 8.1 PC, all the files show as taking 4GB size on the disk. Edit; I have classicshell of course :).

Picture:

I have updated to the latest firmware and the problem still persist. This issue does not happen on my other pc's and laptops which all run windows 7. My windows 8.1 is fully updated as well.

Disk checks out for errors and I'm in the process of backing up everything since I accidentally managed to cut/paste a whole bunch of my files to it rather then copy them from my other backup disk, (which is a 1TB seagate external one).

Does anyone know why my windows 8.1 is showing every file as being 4GB in size on the NAS only? Even files larger than that. It seems like a windows explorer issue but I cant find any fixes for it.

It's also purely a display bug, on my windows 7 pc's and connecting online to the NAS shows the files as not taking up that much space. The problem is, windows tells me there's no room on the NAS based on it's reading the Size on disk as 4GB. Part of my music collection on it was 20~GB in size, but it showed as 14+TB on disk. The disk that's inside is 2TB large.

I hope someone knows why my explorer is reading those files as that.

Much appreciated for any help anyone could offer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:33 am 

This is a Windows file system related issue, nothing related to Classic Shell. Classic Shell does not replace Explorer.exe or its features. You should ask in a more general purpose forum such as Neowin, MyDigitalLife or EightForums/SevenForums.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:36 am 

Alright, I thought I'd ask here because classic shell and explorer seemed to go hand in hand. And since this forum seems to know a lot about the explorer too ;)