It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:29 pm 
I don't know if this is a Classic Shell issue, but I suspect it might be. I'm using Classic Shell 4.1.0 with Win8.1. I have set up my desktop to look like Win 7/Vista. I have quick-launch bar, and program icons that extend beyond the taskbar part of quick launch are revealed by clicking on the double-sided arrow (i.e. ">>") that shows to the immediate right of the quick launch icons on the taskbar. The problem is that sometimes when I click on the ">>" instead of showing the remaining quick launch icons, the window remains black for 5 - 10 seconds (or longer) before showing the icons. What is worse is that sometimes explorer crashes and restarts. I don't know what is causing this, but it is infuriating, more so because it seems to occur randomly. Sometimes I'll click on the ">>" and the icons will appear immediately. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this and how to solve it?

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:32 pm 
To clarify. The window doesn't remain 'black' it remains 'blank' (i.e. shows the background color, but nothing else).

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:23 am 

It is unlikely that Classic Shell is causing it because it does not affect Quick Launch or Explorer icon functionality. It may be possible that there is some shell extension installed on your computer that is causing the slowdowns/Explorer crashes. To rule out Classic Shell, uninstall it temporarily and see if the crashes/slowdowns go away. All your Classic Shell settings will be preserved when you reinstall it.

To fix crashes caused by some shell extension, use NirSoft's ShellExView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html to see all installed shell extensions. Sort them by company/manufacturer and ignore the Microsoft/built-in ones. Then by disabling them one at a time and see which is causing the crashes.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Accept this answer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:14 am 
Thanks for the reply. I'll try the Classic Shell uninstall/re-install first because that's the simpler test (I ran the ShellEvView tool you directed me to, and it listed some 270 shell extensions; could take me a while to work through those...) :ugeek:

Accept this answer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:18 am 

If you ignore the ones which say "Microsoft" in the company column of ShellExView, there won't be that many shell extensions to go through. The built-in shell extensions will not crash Explorer generally.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

Accept this answer