It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:24 pm 

Hello, I just figured I'd let you know that I have had to start using my step grandfather's laptop due to a problem caused by Aero Glass Configurator on my Windows 8.1 computer. It caused my comp to flash over and over and then crash every time i try to log in and i now have no way to access my computer.:cry:
So, until I get a new computer I have no choice but to use my step grandfather's laptop of which uses Windows 7 Home Premium. It will be a few years before i can get a new computer of my own sadly. We're flat broke out here since Arizona is in another 'great depression' atm. :( Not sure if I will need csm personally but I may continue to create start button images for you guys since it's so much fun. :lol: Either way, just figured I'd let you guys know.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:57 am 

Im sorry to hear that, have you tried boot recovery? I'm fairly certain that the damage caused by the app mentioned can be reverted.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8 ... dows-8.htm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:48 am 

I can't do either of those sadly. My computer is set to quick startup and unfortunately that disables the boot menu. The only boot it leaves active is the auto boot from disc feature when you start the computer with a os disc in the disc drive. And sadly the problem doesn't let me log in long enough to be able to access any of the other methods. The worst part of that is the fact that my computer didn't come with an os disc. Instead it just had windows 8 pre-installed and had a gateway recovery program that is used as the system recovery option, and that can't be accessed without being logged in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Visit the manufacturer website or support forums, or give them a call. There should be a way to reset the BIOS to the default settings - maybe a hotkey during boot, or by removing the battery from the motherboard, or some jumpers or something. Once in the BIOS you can change the boot settings to boot from another device, like a USB flash drive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 pm 

Wow, got it fixed. And by sheer luck at that rofl. I tried to use a method provided by some people who made the program of which cause the effect when I had messed up a setting. Although it apparently worked for others who had the same problem, it didn't work for me. Luckily, while I was trying to fix it, the third flash took just long enough to execute for me to clear the setting that caused the problem, rofl. Literally sheer luck, rofl. Either way, my comp is now working perfectly, lolz. Also, upon regaining access to it, I noticed that I had completely forgotten that my new theme had required a different start menu program of which I had gone and downloaded. I will provide a image in the proper thread in hopes that you can create a proper start menu them for use with Classic Shell so that I won't need to use the one this theme currently requires. As soon as I get it posted, I will try to post a link to it into this thread. :P

-Edit-

Okay, here is the link I promised,

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1180&p=14421#p14421

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:20 pm 

Glad you got it working :P

Classic shell works with all the programs listed, and could be used in place of startisback without causing system instability. It just may not look exactly the same. what kind of modifications to the current w7 theme are you looking for, just a greater level of transparency?

Also from the screenshot; I don't see much blur if any so what purpose does Aero Glass serve? or are you just using it to modify other non-blur related attributes?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:20 pm 

I liked it without blur. Full clear transparency looks better imo, as for the menu, the much fuller transparency option was what I liked most about it. Either way, I did however find a much better theme, of which sadly, once again, requires StartIsBack. I shall post a new screenshot into the proper thread and edit a link to it into this one. :P

-Edit-

As promised, the theme has been posted and here is the link.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1180&p=14469#p14469

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm 

How about this skin? It is clear transparent without blur (although personally I don't find it very readable if some window comes behind the menu):

Attachments:
Windows Aero Transparent.zip [66.51 KiB]
Downloaded 759 times

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:20 am 

Perfect for use with the theme I originally wanted it for. Great job! Sadly, I have since switched to a new theme called HUD Evolution due to the theme I wanted that one for taking up too much of my computer's resources and slowing it down bad. Basically the theme pack was literally too big for my comp, lolz. However, I'm sure lot's of other people here would love to use that one. Great job on it! :D