It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:13 am 
I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. It appears that the only operating system available is Windows 8. I don't mind change and I actually like some features of 8. But for simplicities sake, I'd like to install Classic Shell. At the same time, I'd like to be able to play around with Windows 8 to get used to it. So, I guess my Q is, if I buy a Windows 8 laptop and install Classic Shell on the laptop, will the Windows 8 interface still be operable?

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Yes, you can still access the Windows 8 interface. By default you do it by holding Shift when clicking on the start button, but that can be changed.

Set topic as unsolved
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:28 am 
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

So the touch screen feature on the W8 will also still work?

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Classic Shell doesn't disable any touch features.

The classic start menu is not built specifically to support touch features, so I don't know how well it will work with touch. I suspect simple things like click and scroll will work but fancy gestures may not.

Set topic as unsolved
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:22 pm 
Thanks again for your reply.

I will be downloading and donating soon.

Issue solved.

Depp

Set topic as unsolved

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:41 pm 
Windows 8 is not capable of working. Classic Shell is the only way you can use Windows 8. It is torturous and agonizing to try to do anything....from the simplest task to anything you want to accomplish it is like an advanced computer puzzle where the computer wins every time. If you go and buy a new car and every single time you try to drive somewhere, you end up on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck...sooner or later you are going to have enough and stop dealing with this crap. Everyone I know says the same thing about Windows 8. And I promise you...no one hates it as much or more than I do. I am more angry at myself because I knew better. I knew this was garbage when I spent my hard earned money for it. But I would never have bought Windows 8 if it were not for the fact that Classic Shell could rescue me. Classic Shell is your safety net and you WILL need it...sooner rather than later.

Set topic as unsolved