It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 pm 

You have Classic Shell & Classic Explorer.. now all you need is Classic Menu

It could work like Lopesoft Filemenu Tools, or be even more powerful and give you control over the Menu Shell itself.. adding custom commands with parameters, totally customizing your right-click Context Menu for different items/locations

it could:

• let you browse to your own Icon
  • let you add any command or launch any program
  • have a field for parameters & arguments
  • have options to work for location, file type, current folder, parent folder, parent drive, selected folder, etc
  • have options to run a menu item program as an administrator
  • have parameters for launching the item from the current folder as well
  • allow us to create sub-menus and fly-out menus and categories, and menus within menus, etc
  • let us create custom useful right-click menu items, such as:
  • Export Folder File Listing to Text
  • Open Elevated Command Prompt from here
  • Invert Selection
  • Select all of file type (small box appears to add [*.ext])
  • Compress File for Web
  • Convert to JPG
  • Defrag this Drive
  • Create FTP from Folder
  • New > Custom File or Item
  • Permanently Delete File
  • Open/Edit with > (Custom Program Lists for Specific File Types)
  • Set Restore Point
  • Restore Item
  • Begin Custom Screen Capture
  • Copy Full Path
  • etc

Post subject: Classic Nothing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 pm 

I'm not sure how your project began, probably as a way to restore classic menus & looks, etc..

but your program is awesomely more powerful than anything Microsoft has ever created

I think "Classic" is a bit deceiving, and may not be giving you the attention you deserve.

Its not Classic at all, at this advanced stage of development.. its Forward Thinking.. its Progress.. its the New thing.

You've created programs that are so functional & customizable, that getting a "Classic Look" isnt even on the list of things you would want to do with this program

I think alot of people might overlook it or pass it by, simply because it seems to imply that you are simply offering an old interface for nostalgic losers who cant let go of Win95

in fact, I dont even know what style of menu I have, I chose it simply as a template which allows me to do the things I want to do.

Personally, I think a name change could help your image and help to remove the stigma that you may just be an old interface provider

and, I personally think you should be bold and create a new Orb which has nothing to do with Windows at all, and isnt even roundish or use their color scheme, or look anything like a windows Orb at all, simply because you can, and it shows you're all about customizability..

It appeals to the same people who use rainmeter, etc.. the orb should reflect that

even something as simple as "Custom Shell" already sounds way better & more accurate, imo

Post subject: Re: Classic Menu
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:42 pm 

while we're on the topic, does anyone have any idea what parameters to add to a menu command to open a Command Line Window as an Administrator, from the current Location where you are Right-Clicking?

In Lopesoft Filemenu Tools, I've created a new command, configured it to Run the program cmd.exe from the system folder

under option "Working Folder" i selected "Folder Path"
Then I selected "Yes" to 'Run as Administrator'

under "Arguments" I tried a variety of things I found online, I dont remember them all now, but none of them worked..

It launches as normally as an Administrator from the Sys32 folder, and i cant get it to work in the current folder

does anyone know of the command line parameters to get CMD to launch from the current directory?

I currently use this Reg File, but I'd prefer it in the Filemenu Tools Submenu, since I'm trying to keep my Context Menu Neat & Tidy:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Open Elevated Command Line from here"
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas]
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\runas\command]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas]
"HasLUAShield"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\runas\command]

and I use this one to keep it with the other one, for a normal Command Line Window, without having to use the keyboard.. but if I can get the Lopesoft Elevated Prompt to work, I'll remove this one and just use them both from the Submenu:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd]
@="@shell32.dll,-8506"
"Extended"=-
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd]
@="@shell32.dll,-8506"
"Extended"=-
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd]
@="@shell32.dll,-8506"
"Extended"=-
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd\command]

Post subject: Re: Classic Nothing
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 pm 

Well that's the point - to prove that Classic was more powerful and more versatile. There is nothing wrong with the name, it's a perception problem.

You're right - I've seen numerous people shy away from even trying it just because of the name that gives them the "going backwards" feeling. But it's a problem with their flawed thinking, I don't think a branding change will affect their thinking, they will see the screenshots and find a reason to avoid it, thinking newer is better, why go back, and thus discard it even before considering it.

At this moment, Classic Shell is a very established and reputed program, so there are no plans for a rebranding although the logo could be more colorful and richer. That's up to Ivo to decide.

There also aren't any plans to develop a FileMenu Tools like module. The toolbar does everything you need without cluttering up context menus.

As for the command prompt as administrator request, I can show you how to create a toolbar button for it:

1. You will need a tool like NirCmd or similar that can elevate from the command line. Download it from NirSoft's website and copy it to some directory in your system path such as C:\Windows. If you just run NirCmd.exe without any parameters, it will give you the option to copy itself to the Windows directory.
2. Create a batch file called 'AdminCmdPrompt.bat' with these contents:

@echo off
If Defined selecteddir goto AdminCmdPrompt2 else goto AdminCmdPrompt1

:AdminCmdPrompt1
pushd %currentdir%
goto end

:AdminCmdPrompt2
pushd %selecteddir%
goto end

:End
CLS

3. Save the batch file anywhere you want. Let's say for example, you put it in a 'Commands' folder inside C:\Program Files\Classic Shell
4. Create a custom command on the Classic Explorer toolbar. The command to use is:
nircmd elevate cmd /e:on /k pushd "%1" & set %selecteddir%="%2" & set %currentdir%="%1" & "%ProgramFiles%\Classic Shell\Commands\AdminCmdPrompt.bat"
5. Give it an icon, tooltip and label as required and OK twice to save change and reopen the Explorer window.

This creates an "Open command prompt as administrator" button that opens at the location in Explorer where you are browsing. Additionally, if you select a folder in the right (files) pane with left click and then click this toolbar button, then it will open a command prompt at that selected folder. If nothing is selected in the right pane, then it will open the command prompt at the location in the address bar (i.e. folder pane). It will also work for network (UNC) paths by mapping a drive letter and unmapping it when you close the command prompt.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.