It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anybody use IE?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:00 am 

So the title says it all: Does anybody use IE?
I will say it has improved. But I still like Firefox overall, (Since all versions will work no matter what OS, Unless it is a dinosaur like 2000)
I personally hate the new UI, But I do see no reason to use it at all. Even with Classic Shell.

What do you use?

Post subject: Re: Does anybody use IE?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:15 am 

Chrome; and yes i know it saps information from my browsing to help google target ads at me and such.. and i don't care :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:25 pm 

IE still seems to be my first choice, especially for business/MS office. Just more integrated.
Firefox good for most things. Had a memory leak problem for awhile. Really slowed down on old computers.
Plugins work well. e.g. Ant video downloader simple to use, where as IE plugin terrible.
Gave up on Chrome many times. Haven't tried for at least a year. Incompatibilities overode it's great speed.
Opera worked quite well at work on Win 2000, as OS would not allow newer IE upgrades.
Got XP last year with IE. Now use thin client with IE.

Head of IT said no Win8 at the company. Will skip and wait and see Win9.

At home, can always turn the tooty fruity colors off. Make it battleship grey. Probably an app to change color of tiles.
Make them all small and it ain't that bad.

One doesn't have to use Chrome to get the targeted adds. Using Google search, same thing.
Funny when adds show up on sites I've never gone to,
for the items I looked at yesterday at an online store.

Just like this site, the Bingbots and Googlebots busy at work browsing and crawling though our text.
Spiders everywhere in the web. Look at bottom of page. There might be one as you read this. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:18 am 

Well I use AdBlock Plus.
I don't think Mozilla care about what you browse :D

But really using IE on XP. I say that if you can't get a recent version of IE (IDK if you can on XP anymore) Then you should use something else

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:29 am 

I would use adblock if i actually cared, I think of ads as a way to support the webpages i frequent...
and if they happen to show something relevant to my interest.., that benefits everyone (though the ads themselves rarely have the lowest price, and thus don't receive my business.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 am 

Just remembered IE on Xp. Version 7 was ok. Tried V 8, it really slowed down to a crawl,
saving everything in memory for the next crash recovery.
It didn't like saving a webpage to hardrive, would stall. It really needed a can of V8.
V 9 slightly better on win 7.
V 10 on Win 8 desktop very good.
The alternate full screen version sucks big time.
Refuses to open links on some pages, unless I make a new window.

Yeah, I used to use adblock for awhile, forgot it was even there.
Would still let in some popup ads. Guess didn't update list.
I hope the adds are harmless in themselves.
It's more of what we are clicking on and typing consistently,
that gets us profiled by anyone who wishes to use that information,
for their good and bad reasons.

Here is a good reason. e.g. I can find stuff fast if not faster, just by typing in
say "classicshell the Bingbots and Googlebots" I don't have to be on this site.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:42 am 

Jcee wrote:
I would use adblock if i actually cared, I think of ads as a way to support the webpages i frequent...
and if they happen to show something relevant to my interest.., that benefits everyone (though the ads themselves rarely have the lowest price, and thus don't receive my business.)

Yes but I don't like them. Facebook are bringing in ads that will interrupt badly. And we have to pay 10 bucks to rid them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:44 am 

juniper7 wrote:
Just remembered IE on Xp. Version 7 was ok. Tried V 8, it really slowed down to a crawl,
saving everything in memory for the next crash recovery.
It didn't like saving a webpage to hardrive, would stall. It really needed a can of V8.
V 9 slightly better on win 7.
V 10 on Win 8 desktop very good.
The alternate full screen version sucks big time.
Refuses to open links on some pages, unless I make a new window.

Yeah, I used to use adblock for awhile, forgot it was even there.
Would still let in some popup ads. Guess didn't update list.
I hope the adds are harmless in themselves.
It's more of what we are clicking on and typing consistently,
that gets us profiled by anyone who wishes to use that information,
for their good and bad reasons.

Here is a good reason. e.g. I can find stuff fast if not faster, just by typing in
say "classicshell the Bingbots and Googlebots" I don't have to be on this site.

As long as IE is working for you :)

I never see popups. I used to, But they seem fazed out...

Bit confused about what you have said about the search...
I can search fine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 am 

Forum search engines are often lacking compared to the crawled/indexed pages on google. Yes it is easier to type your terms into google, and add a "Classicshell.net:" prefix than to use the built in search

@facebook; don't use it myself, so i wouldn't know how annoying its ads are

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:08 am 

I know what you mean. It is frustrating using a forum search, It comes up with nothing relevant.
If you use a popular enough forum you don't even need to add the address ;D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:33 pm 

I will only use IE myself. I have hated every version of Firefox since it started. Chrome is okay but Comodo Dragon is better. IE10 is my default and I'll move to 11 when it's available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 am 

Dch48 wrote:
I will only use IE myself. I have hated every version of Firefox since it started. Chrome is okay but Comodo Dragon is better. IE10 is my default and I'll move to 11 when it's available.

I suppose you can't impress everybody :D
But is there a problem with FF?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:54 am 

actually I used to use IE exclusively, before chrome came along. I just liked it better than firefox at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:31 am 

Jcee wrote:
actually I used to use IE exclusively, before chrome came along. I just liked it better than firefox at the time.

My heart always goes to Firefox or other Mozilla browsers like Seamonkey.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 pm 

Satuim wrote:
Dch48 wrote:

I suppose you can't impress everybody :D
But is there a problem with FF?
I don't like the download UI, the cookie management, or the Favorites management. I much prefer the same functions in IE. IE is the only browser who's Favorites will show and be added in the Windows Start Menu. I also find it ironic that you have to add a bunch of extensions to the default FF to make it as secure as IE is out of the box. I will never use anything like NoScript for the same reason I will not use a classic HIPS application. Usability and convenience trumps everything else for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:44 am 

Those never bothered me.

As for the security I have never had too big of issues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:04 am 

I had a few issues with trojans on IE, though i have a feeling most of them were user error.. movie.exe ect :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:52 am 

Jcee wrote:
I had a few issues with trojans on IE, though i have a feeling most of them were user error.. movie.exe ect :P

Probably since you can't avoid it 100%

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:31 am 

true no browser is 100% secure :P, but I run into far less of those type of problems now that I more experienced with a computer, my browser may have something to do with it, but its definitely not the only reason.. :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:08 am 

Either way thats what a good Antivirus/Remover is for like Malwarebytes and Avast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm 

Satuim wrote:
Either way thats what a good Antivirus/Remover is for like Malwarebytes and Avast
Or a great malware blocker like Comodo. Nothing is better for the zero day stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:23 am 

Dch48 wrote:
Satuim wrote:
Or a great malware blocker like Comodo. Nothing is better for the zero day stuff.

Doesn't Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials cover malware?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:06 am 

I am big fan of IE and refuse to use Chrome, Firefox or Opera as my main browser :) I love IE's excellent RSS integration and many other configurable behaviors.

The main reason I love IE is because it includes most functionality out of the box so you don't really need many addons (except Classic IE of course :D).

Of course, for certain specific tasks, nothing beats Firefox's addon ecosystem. But Firefox's UI also keeps changing constantly, lately Mozilla have been making Firefox dumbed down, making annoying changes and keeping options only in about:config or entirely removing from there as well.

Chrome is just too minimalistic (no "Match whole word" or "Match case" in the Find dialog, seriously?). Opera was excellent till 12.xx but had many UI related bugs and then Opera pulled a Windows 8 with version 15 and turned into Chromium. :( I mean seriously? Giving up Presto, and everything they had developed so far?

I do keep all the major browsers installed because IE isn't perfect either. But being a usability obsessed person, I find IE > Opera 12.x > Chrome > Firefox. :D

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:39 am 

I use mostly Opera. But I'm not sure the changes post version 12 are welcome. It's also kinda sad that they gave up on their own layout engine.
I hope they at least fix some GUI issues before moving on past v12+, but I somehow doubt it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 am 

Satuim wrote:
Dch48 wrote:
Satuim wrote:

Doesn't Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials cover malware?
To varying extents, yes. Avast is pretty good at it and to all evidences, getting even better. MSE is not very good at all, just read the reviews.

I'm talking about blocking the new zero day stuff. A technology that restricts or blocks anything new and unknown is the best way to go in my opinion as long as it's kept up to date and safe things are quickly recognized as such. Comodo is excellent in that regard. The others still rely mainly on detection by signatures which obviously doesn't work against the new things. Avast is about to add whitelisting in their 2014 product. I'm not sure if it's going to be in the free version but if it is, that will be a huge step forward.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:24 pm 

GauravK wrote:
I am big fan of IE and refuse to use Chrome, Firefox or Opera as my main browser :) I love IE's excellent RSS integration and many other configurable behaviors.

The main reason I love IE is because it includes most functionality out of the box so you don't really need many addons (except Classic IE of course :D).

Of course, for certain specific tasks, nothing beats Firefox's addon ecosystem. But Firefox's UI also keeps changing constantly, lately Mozilla have been making Firefox dumbed down, making annoying changes and keeping options only in about:config or entirely removing from there as well.

Chrome is just too minimalistic (no "Match whole word" or "Match case" in the Find dialog, seriously?). Opera was excellent till 12.xx but had many UI related bugs and then Opera pulled a Windows 8 with version 15 and turned into Chromium. :( I mean seriously? Giving up Presto, and everything they had developed so far?

I do keep all the major browsers installed because IE isn't perfect either. But being a usability obsessed person, I find IE > Opera 12.x > Chrome > Firefox. :D

So SeaMonkey is a great choice it uses the FF layout engine and all

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:26 pm 

@Dch48 - I heard that Comodo has a lot of false positives

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:28 pm 

Satuim wrote:

Yeah I've been recommended SeaMonkey by another close friend too. So far it has survived the dumbing down and nonsensical changes that Firefox is going through each revision. I used to use it a long time ago. Must try it again.

Compare Start Menus

Read the Search box usage guide.

I am a Windows enthusiast and helped a little with Classic Shell's testing and usability/UX feedback.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 am 

Satuim wrote:
That's absolutely wrong. It has almost none. What they are calling "false positives" are new and unknown things being restricted by the behavior blocker or auto sandboxing. A real false positive is something being detected by antivirus signatures as malware when it isn't. That very rarely happens.

Most of the testers are not familiar with the way Comodo works because it takes a different approach than other products. Therefore they say it produces "false positives" because they really don't know what is going on. Only new or unknown things will be restricted and most of them will quickly be white listed if they are found to be safe. That is not a false positive but rather a notice that the file is unknown to the system. All you need to do if you get a restriction alert for something you know is safe is tell the program not to restrict it again and restart the application. It will be in the trusted list from then on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:12 am 

GauravK wrote:
Satuim wrote:

Yeah I've been recommended SeaMonkey by another close friend too. So far it has survived the dumbing down and nonsensical changes that Firefox is going through each revision. I used to use it a long time ago. Must try it again.

The UI has barely been changed since 1998 so remember to remove the Print button :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:14 am 

Dch48 wrote:
Satuim wrote:
That's absolutely wrong. It has almost none. What they are calling "false positives" are new and unknown things being restricted by the behavior blocker or auto sandboxing. A real false positive is something being detected by antivirus signatures as malware when it isn't. That very rarely happens.

Most of the testers are not familiar with the way Comodo works because it takes a different approach than other products. Therefore they say it produces "false positives" because they really don't know what is going on. Only new or unknown things will be restricted and most of them will quickly be white listed if they are found to be safe. That is not a false positive but rather a notice that the file is unknown to the system. All you need to do if you get a restriction alert for something you know is safe is tell the program not to restrict it again and restart the application. It will be in the trusted list from then on.

Would you recommend Comodo over avast. I just removed it since it was annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:19 am 

My personal favorite:
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php
It is compatible with Chrome extentions. I use AdBlock and FlashBlock under windows XP/7 - no problems so far.

I also consider this page very interesting...
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php
...as it sets the guidelines for non-IE browsers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:28 am 

nemos wrote:
My personal favorite:

All non-IE browsers?
because I doubt all of those thing are in Firefox or Konqueror.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:37 am 

Satuim wrote:
nemos wrote:
My personal favorite:

All non-IE browsers?
because I doubt all of those thing are in Firefox or Konqueror.

Yep, my mistake... "Chrome-like browsers" is the correct phrase! (... difficult to post my thoughts with 2 little kids wondering what I am doing ...)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:22 am 

OK I see.